Home » Audio » Speaker » Fullrange line array?????
Fullrange line array????? [message #23609] Tue, 03 April 2007 10:08 Go to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
I found a post over at another forum that brought these fullrange line array's up.
Since I know very little about the physics of what makes up a line array other than reading Jim Griffins white paper.
I thought I would post this here in hopes of encouraging a discussion of possible problems, and magical physics behind this no crossover design that make them work.

NW

Re: Fullrange line array????? [message #23610 is a reply to message #23609] Tue, 03 April 2007 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
There aren't any specs on these: no speaker info, no crossover info etc. There are not enough speakers there to even be a real line array.

Clearly the builder knows nothing of the Griffin work.

Where can we get more data for a discussion?

Why is it called a full range line array? Are other line arrays not full range? Mine is!

Marlboro

Re: Fullrange line array????? [message #23611 is a reply to message #23610] Tue, 03 April 2007 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Marlboro,

I agree with your comments. I for one was scratching my head when I saw that there was no crossover or electrical EQ used in this design to deal with lobing errors and high frequency cancellation. I can only ASSume that the term fullrange is coined from the driver manufacturers description of the drivers being used.

I would hope someone in the technical know could critique this design based on experience. Like how it could be feasible to mechanically design some type of EQ into this speaker to deal with some of the physical properties of multiple stacked drivers.

Or, is there a real deficiency to be expected in the high frequency region due to lobing cancelations? The frequency response is given of 40Hz to 50kHz, hmm.

The lack of a crossover would be ideal if the physics could be dealt with properly.

Any comments, observations?

The comment that was made by the seller / designer not to call him for information unless you are serious about laying down the doe, is not reassuring. Obviously there are no real measurements to back up his claims. The thirdy day gaurantee is reasonable, but may not be enough to get people to buy. Most people want to have a good idea of what they are getting before they shell out $3,000.

The lack of a way to audition such niche' products have always made it tough on the consumer, and small manufacturer alike.

All I can say is, there are some interesting design goals in this speaker.

Is it a free luch affair?

Maybe we could get him to bring a pair to LSAF and show the potential customers what they sound like.

NW

Re: Fullrange line array????? [message #23612 is a reply to message #23609] Tue, 03 April 2007 16:25 Go to previous message
Anonymous
$3000 asking price.

With that budget you can make a better one if you have basic speaker building skills.

Previous Topic: musical peaks / SPL / power distribution
Next Topic: IDS and McIntosh Arrays
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 08 06:59:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout