Home » Audio » Speaker » musical peaks / SPL / power distribution
Re: musical peaks / SPL / power distribution [message #23605 is a reply to message #23603] Tue, 03 April 2007 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Steven Homrighausen is currently offline  Steven Homrighausen
Chancellor
Thanks for your reply, and comments.

I'm not really concerned with total output. I just wanted to verify my understanding of a few things and get some opinions. Overall, I want a highly detailed system that is 'balanced' - to me, it doesn't make much sense to have a line array that is capable of high dynamics if your bottom octave doesn't share the dynamics.

I believe that too often, the answer is that line arrays are amazing, dynamic, etc. I understand that. I've read Dr. Griffin's paper and understand most of the theory. One area that I may have missed is total power handling of a ribbon array.

When someone builds a speaker (any speaker), there are limits in ultimate output and therefore dynamics. My father owns a pair of Klipschorns and based on their 105dB sensitivity, and their 400w peak power handling, they can produce 131dB (though their site states maximum acoustic outpt of 121dB). I find the Klipschorn to be a fatiguing sound, and overly bright (though my father loves them).

Most of my listening levels are quiet enough that I can carry on a conversation in the same room without being annoyed by the music. There are times, that greater levels are required. I want to understand the limits of a line array.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: ribbon protection with electronic crossover?
Next Topic: Fullrange line array?????
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 08 10:22:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout