Home » Audio » Speaker » Why Are Some Line Array's So Midrangey And Foreward Sounding ?
Why Are Some Line Array's So Midrangey And Foreward Sounding ? [message #23528] Sun, 11 March 2007 22:24 Go to next message
chris is currently offline  chris
Baron
I have heard a few line array's, and all I have heard have this up front, in your face sound.
Some might like this perspective, but I find it irritating.
Is there a workaroud for this ?

One answer...... you may already know this.... [message #23529 is a reply to message #23528] Mon, 12 March 2007 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
My two cents.....

When you have a large number of mid and a large number of tweets, you have a much greater potential for having the different lines in the array getting seriously out of balance. This is easy to compensate in a passive arrangement without even doing the measurements. Its much harder to do in an array.

My bet is that some arrays built by DIYers and even professionals have not measured the sensitivity differences and compensated accurately for them.

My line array has a mid sensitivity of 95 and a tweeter sensitivity of 106. Even without looking at the frequency response and db's my tweeters will tend to be more forward.

Secondly, being in the near field will tend to make you feel more like you are in the middle of things. The nature of the beast is such that the midrange on an array will probably feel more intense.

Thirdly, with point source speakers only one or two speakers are handling the entire midrange. As the volume goes up so does the distortion, and the detail is lost. With Line arrays so many more speakers are handling the midrange(in my case actually 34 of them) that the detail is not lost as the volume goes up. This detail at high volumes is often mistaken for "forwardness".

Hope this helps. It may stuff you already know.

Hopefully others will step in and answer your question also

Re: Why Are Some Line Array's So Midrangey And Foreward Sounding ? [message #23530 is a reply to message #23528] Mon, 12 March 2007 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
Can you describe the designs that you've listened to?

Discussion on PE [message #23532 is a reply to message #23528] Mon, 12 March 2007 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I opened a discussion on the Parts Express Forum here:

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=341081

I do suspect that if you need a more laid back feeling, like being in the way back rows of a concert gig, that you either purchase an equalizer with your array, or that you stay away from Line arrays, which by their nature tend to put you front and center with the music, either because of the wide sound stage, or because of the extreme detail in the music.

Another work around is to use Jim Griffin's sound tapering, which will reduce the blooming felling that you may find irritating, unless its really a frequency area bloom.

Marlboro

Re: Why Are Some Line Array's So Midrangey And Foreward Sounding ? [message #23545 is a reply to message #23528] Tue, 13 March 2007 20:09 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've heard several professionally designed line arrays including the Selah Audio XT-8, the GR Research Alpha LS, and Jim's Griffin's DEQX controlled arrays. These all combine high quality drivers with well designed and tested crossovers, or DEQX active room compensation, and all have sounded neutral to me. I also heard the 25 woofer ADS arrays, and with their dedicated equalizer they sounded neutral too.

I once owned a pair of line arrays built with inexpensive metal cone drivers that sounded very forward. These used first order crossovers that failed to control the woofer cone breakup adequately, resulting in a 6dB peak around 3khz. A revised second order crossover with a zoebel, combined with a 2nd order tweeter crossover with a notch filter solved the problem.

Previous Topic: Intercom replacement speaker needed
Next Topic: Not an expert......
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 14:49:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout