Home » Audio » Speaker » Small array for a small listening room. Help and advice needed.
Small array for a small listening room. Help and advice needed. [message #23445] Wed, 14 February 2007 03:59 Go to next message
G is currently offline  G
Esquire
Hi all. I would like to build a small array type speaker using some Tang Band drivers and a single tweeter. I would like to use four 4" drivers and one tweeter per side. My listening room/area is only 12'x12' practically speaking. Also I have a nice little active sub so I only need to get down to 50Hz or so. Is this doable? I could go with six drivers per side if needed but I need a sensitivity of at least 95dB 1w/1m. The drivers I would like to use are here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-828

I haven't decided which tweeter to use yet. Any help or advice are appreciated.

Gavin

Re: Small array for a small listening room. Help and advice needed. [message #23446 is a reply to message #23445] Wed, 14 February 2007 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric is currently offline  Eric
Baron
Gavin,
Not much in this design to work with IMO. I am surely far from an expert, but 12 x 12 room and 4/ 4" drivers a side does not sound like much fun to me at all. Honestly, why don't you get a published kit from PE, or Zaph or something?

You are not building an array..... [message #23447 is a reply to message #23445] Thu, 15 February 2007 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This is not a Line Array Speaker system. You are building a point source speaker. I recommend that you download Jim Griffin's white paper, or I'll send you a copy.

To have an array, the system has to be coupled with the floor and the ceiling, and you have to be in the nearfield for listening. The nearfield is roughly 3 times the array size, which means that you would have to listen to the system less than 4 feet from the speakers, and the size doesn't couple with the floor and the ceiling. And even at this distance you would not be in the nearfield for the tweeter. So you are just building a large point source speaker system. I suggest you consider a D'Appolito MTM design with a couple of larger woofers at the bottom.

There is no such thing as a small array. You either have a line array or you don't.

Marlboro

Re: You are not building an array..... [message #23449 is a reply to message #23447] Tue, 20 February 2007 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivor the Engine Driver is currently offline  Ivor the Engine Driver
Chancellor
> To have an array, the system has to be coupled
> with the floor and the ceiling, and you have to
> be in the nearfield for listening.

That might be the worst definition of an array I've ever seen written. No, an array doesn't have to be coupled with anything to be an array, and your listening position has nothing whatsoever to do with what constitutes an array. If you'd like, I'll send you a copy of Griffin's white paper so you can brush up.

Re: You are not building an array..... [message #23450 is a reply to message #23449] Tue, 20 February 2007 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for sharing.... Have you ever built one?

A little bit more on the nearfield and the line array height..... [message #23451 is a reply to message #23450] Tue, 20 February 2007 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Page 3: "Our goal is to develop a line array loudspeaker system for the home that assures that the listener is in the near field as much as possible."

The array described in the report is one that is two way with a woofer system that goes down to a bit below 100hz, and a tweeter system above roughly 1600 to 3000hz, thus a two way system. Usually a low frequency driver is used to complement the array. Thus, Dr. Griffin goes on to describe the required height of both the woofer and the tweeter array portions on page 10.

Woofer and Tweeter line height is described specifically.
First woofer line height:

PAGE 10: ".......Finally, best low frequency coupling to the boundaries occurs wherein the distances between either end of the line and the ceiling and floor are less than a wavelength, respectively. Typically, the woofer line length height needs to be greater than 70% of the room height for effective boundary coupling."

Tweeter line height:

"....Tweeter Line Height. As for the woofer line length, the ideal tweeter line length would also extend from near the floor to the ceiling. Such a length would assure near field sound radiation for the entire room. Possible implementations would be a very long ribbon/planar tweeter or a large number of small dome tweeters if a floor to ceiling line length is desired. However, either of these implementations would be expensive."

Because of the expense, three options are considered.

Part of the second is here: "....Listening Position Coverage. Consider also the listening position and whether you desire to cover the sitting position (slightly less than one meter (39.4”) above the floor at ear level) only or both standing (typically up to 1.8 m (70.9”) height) and sitting positions. Hence, for many situations a tweeter line height would need to be grater than one meter to adequately cover both sitting and standing positions."

Both the line height considered here in Jim's paper and the discussion regarding the nearfield make it clear to most readers that there is a requirement for nearfield listening and line height itself to consider that the speaker system is a line array.

Anything that does not meet these criteria is not part of the description that the Griffin report describes in its title:

"Design Guidelines for Practical Near Field Line Arrays"

It may be a mini line array, but its not a nearfield line array which provides all the benefits described in a line array.

Sorry.....

Marlboro

Re: You are not building an array..... [message #23453 is a reply to message #23450] Wed, 21 February 2007 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Yes. Have you?

Re: A little bit more on the nearfield and the line array height..... [message #23454 is a reply to message #23451] Wed, 21 February 2007 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
> It may be a mini line array, but its not a
> nearfield line array which provides all the
> benefits described in a line array.

That isn't what you said, is it? Lesson you should learn: if you're going to be an arrogant know-it-all, make sure you know it all.

Re: A little bit more on the nearfield and the line array height..... [message #23456 is a reply to message #23454] Wed, 21 February 2007 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I didn't really think Marlboro was trying to be a know-it-all, thought instead he was trying to be helpful. I saw the post about boundry loading, and kind of raised my eyebrow too, thinking the array and the mirroring from the boundary were two different things. You can have an array outdoors, loading with multiple cabs instead. You can also have a small array, even one with just four drivers. But I think the point Marlboro was trying to make is that the floor and the ceiling act as reflectors of a vertical array, and if spaced right, make it act like a much longer line. The floor certainly does, and if tall enough, the ceiling does too. I think that's what Marlboro is trying to say.

Re: A little bit more on the nearfield and the line array height..... [message #23458 is a reply to message #23456] Wed, 21 February 2007 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Jim's white paper explains it clearly.

None of the rest of use do much more than quote it. The bottom line is that if one is building a line array for an inside dwelling, and one wants all the benefits of it with low distortions and wide sound stage, one is constrained to use those parameters which require a large line that goes 70% of floor to ceiling in the mid/base area, and at least one meter in the tweeter.

Everything else is design compromise.

If Ivor feels compelled to provide flame bait when he's not sure what the poster is saying, rather than ask a question, then that is his prerogative. I stand by my statement that an array that has four speakers in it is not a line array.

I'm sorry if Ivor misunderstood what I was saying. I often suffer from imprecise speech when it comes to these things as I lack a technical background, or an EE degree. Its a hazard. But having built one of these bad boys to Jim's specifications, I assure you that I understand what his white paper says.

Kind regards,

Marlboro

Previous Topic: Selah Audio XT-8 Review
Next Topic: ART array question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 09:19:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers