Home » Audio » Speaker » Newform R30 Scanspeak 18W/8545 array project
Newform R30 Scanspeak 18W/8545 array project [message #23339] Sat, 23 December 2006 00:23 Go to previous message
Stephen Narayan is currently offline  Stephen Narayan
Esquire
I recently had the good fortune to pick up a slightly used Newform R630 kit (2 30" ribbon, 2 18W/8545 woofers) that hasn't been put together yet. A friend and I are going to build a 4-6 woofer array using one or two NFR ribbons per channel. Plan right now is to have the overall height to 60" and incorporate 4 woofers, spaced 180mm ctc. The ribbons will be positioned to the side similar to Brad Virgils original R45 ribbons in the Excelarray. I've ordered 6 more 18W-8545 drivers (total 8) from Solen for this project. I may add 4 more woofers if necessary but would like to take a modular approach before adding the extra 2 per channel, is this feasible or would it be better to build the project from the start using 6 mids/channel.

With 4 8545 and 1 R30 per side nominal impedance will be 8Ohms but there will be an efficiency mismatch from my calculations. 6 mids and a pair of R30's per channel give a lower nominal load and a 94dB sensitivity match if my calculations are right.

I've been diligently reading Jim Griffin's white paper the last couple days and any help would be appreciated.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Please recommend a smooth 18" x 8" HF horn & driver...
Next Topic: Array Enclosure Plans ie Northcreek Designs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 11:37:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout