Home » Audio » Speaker » Baffle Step Roll-off, electronics crosses, and ARRAYs
Baffle Step Roll-off, electronics crosses, and ARRAYs [message #23289] Sat, 04 November 2006 08:19 Go to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
On the diyAudio forum, someone brought up a question about the baffle step roll off issues. Go to here for an update on this issue:

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/bafflestep/index.html

Is this an issue for array speakers? Is it an issue only for speakers with passive crossovers, but NOT necessarily an issue for those who are using electronic crossovers and equalization with bi- and tri- amping.

I didn't think it was an issue for me since I equalized the whole system with the room(placing my microphone at the place of listening, not 1 meter from the speaker) and adjusted the amplitude of each of the speaker arrays within the confines of the whole room not individually as to sub lines in an anechoic chamber.

Marlboro

2nd part [message #23290 is a reply to message #23289] Sat, 04 November 2006 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The issue is one where there is a drop in the frequency of a max of ABOUT 6db in an anechoic chamber or in a wide open placement of the speakers, according to a formula that includes the speed of sound in inches and the size of the baffle in inches and a certain fraction.

I'm wondering if its a point source issue or whether the cylindrical wash of sound in the near field impacts it. And, how much of an issue it is in the scheme of things for most of us who have our systems in fairly small rooms where the back wall and the side walls are less that 2 feet from the speaker itself.

In a large room, a theater, or a concert hall of some kind, its a horse of a different color.

Is it like off axis speaker measurements? I mean do you actually know anyone who doesn't slightly at least angle their speakers to the listening couch so that they don't have any off axis problems? Nobody I know listens to their speakers off axis, except when they happen to b e walking around, and then its used as MUZAK, or dancing.

Marlboro

Part 3 [message #23291 is a reply to message #23290] Sat, 04 November 2006 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Using a program called Edge from Dave Thomas(not related to Wendy), I discovered that the diffraction loss with only one speaker is a full 8 db loss. With 2 speakers, its a 5 decible loss, with three: its about 3. with 8-10, its about 2. With more than 15, its about 1 db.

Super. I was pretty sure that the dynamics of an array would change things dramatically.

Marlboro

Re: SWEET - good to know [message #23305 is a reply to message #23291] Wed, 08 November 2006 13:32 Go to previous message
hot.rod.audio is currently offline  hot.rod.audio
Esquire
I'm using 8 4 inch (vintage KLH) drivers in line arrays, and someone had brought this up. My baffle is only 12 inches wide, and OB, so I wasn't sure either . . . thansk for the research !

Previous Topic: Acoustic treatment and the nearfield Question
Next Topic: More info wanted on DCA speaker drivers, and help wanted on 1st horn speakers!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 14:45:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio