Home » Audio » Speaker » Center channel design with line arrays
Center channel design with line arrays [message #23193] Tue, 19 September 2006 12:22 Go to next message
brucemck2 is currently offline  brucemck2
Chancellor

I'm considering changing my home theater from three matched MTMs across the fronts to a line array based setup.

I've got a severe height limition for the center channel, as it has to go below the screen. That means approximately 39" max. Ears are at 42".

Figure I've got four options:

(1) Go with a stereo configuration. I've been avoiding this, as I've strongly (very strongly) preferred Trifield and similar synthesized center channels for two channel music, and, have found even great stereo setups up front suffer with (apparent) center channel fill when playing true multichannel movies.

(2) Reconfigure the room to allow three matching arrays across the fronts. My Wife might shoot me, so I'm avoiding this as well.

(3) Build a third array, but install it horizontally. Has advantage that if I ever go with (2) above I'd have the third already in hand.

(4) Build a "traditional center channel" with identical woofer and tweeter as the arrays, and voice it as closely as I can to the left and right arrays. I've had zero luck in the past getting a design that wasn't very close to identical to sonically match a left and right. (A variant of this was on the Raw Acoustics web site: a horizontal array of mids/woofs with a single ribbon as the center channel.)

What would be your advice?

Re: Center channel design with line arrays [message #23209 is a reply to message #23193] Sun, 01 October 2006 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
BUiLD THE LINE ARRAY FIRST. Then, see if you actually need the center channel. The sound field of an array is so broad that you probably won't even think about it.
Point source speakers don't match line soource ones.

What is the configuration of your array?

Maslboro

Re: Center channel design with line arrays [message #23210 is a reply to message #23209] Sun, 01 October 2006 18:42 Go to previous message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
Actually well-executed point source center channels work very well with arrays.

Previous Topic: All the speakers the same brand and size?
Next Topic: Wake up Maggie
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 25 22:15:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout