Home » Audio » Speaker » line array + front loaded horn ?
line array + front loaded horn ? [message #23191] Thu, 14 September 2006 20:06 Go to next message
hot.rod.audio is currently offline  hot.rod.audio
Esquire
Just kinda brainstorming here . . . would it make sense to incoporate a FLH, ala Altec VOT onto a line array of 16 - 20 4 inch drivers? Might this help the sub-100 Hz response of the array? I'm guessing as long as flare rate and mouth area stayed (about) the same, it could work . . .

whatcha think?

Re: line array + front loaded horn ? [message #23204 is a reply to message #23191] Fri, 29 September 2006 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
I get sub 100hz response from 50 cent drivers, 16 of them, ported.
If you use a steep slope crossover, high pass, you can limit
the really low notes from the drivers to keep excursion down. You
can mate this with a subwoofer low pass 60hz - 80hz. If you want to try your experiment, feel free and report back.

Re: line array + front loaded horn ? [message #23205 is a reply to message #23204] Fri, 29 September 2006 10:28 Go to previous message
hot.rod.audio is currently offline  hot.rod.audio
Esquire
cool - I think I have the same drivers - Pioneer fullrangers from Parts express? I grabbed about 50 of them last year . . . mocked up a single line array of 16 for grins, but haven't done much with them since. I *have* been using them in some custom audio installations for ambient / backround sound in yoga studios and a few retail locations - real nice sound with the little 25 cent onkyo tweeter, and a bass box for the low end.....

My plan is to use them in a home theater, maybe an array of 12 or 16 per side - still deciding on center and rear surround configuation.

I've never tried constructing a FLH, so I *may* take the easy (logical) way out and do as you have . .

what size box(es) are required for your setup?

thanks !

Previous Topic: ESL DIY Resources
Next Topic: All the speakers the same brand and size?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 13:48:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio