Home » Audio » Speaker » Array Bass
Array Bass [message #23173] Sat, 09 September 2006 16:27 Go to next message
Zene Gillette is currently offline  Zene Gillette
Viscount

Hi ... I see several configurations for woofers to use with arrays. A lot of us do arrays with small speakers (NSB, TB, etc) that do not go down very low to be able to just use a subwoofer. Are there some good rules for woofers? Crossing to arrays could be in the 120hz to even 400hz range.
I've seen some $ comparisons of multiple woofer array vs. standard woofers, but little or no evaluations on which is actually better and more compatible. Polar patterns are also a consideration. Zene

Re: Array Bass [message #23174 is a reply to message #23173] Sun, 10 September 2006 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
I have some weird ideas, email me.

Re: Array Bass [message #23177 is a reply to message #23173] Mon, 11 September 2006 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zobsky is currently offline  zobsky
Baron
would a high efficiecy woofer (say an eminence beta 12) in a compact (say 2 cu. ft) box below the line work to get a clean 40 - 50 Hz for domestic applications?

I'm pondering the same question myself.

I was also wondering if a sub amp (they usually have 12dB crossovers) tapped into the speaker level input to the line array might work to roll off the bass around 120 - 150 Hz ?

Thanks

Re: Array Bass [message #23185 is a reply to message #23173] Wed, 13 September 2006 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Yost is currently offline  David Yost
Esquire
Have you considered using radical low frequency EQ like Roger Russell does with his new line arrays? He uses columns of 25 3 1/2" TB type full rangers that he claims are flat to 25Hz in room, and I don't doubt him. While his system uses a dedicated EQ, you could probably use a McIntosh MQ-104 or MQ107...they show up on ebay once in awhile.

I like this approach, as sub integration problems, crossovers, extra amps, etc. are eliminated. Also, I think overall bass response is much smoother everywhere in the room because you are using 25 spread out "woofers" rather than just one or two.

Re: Array Bass [message #23192 is a reply to message #23173] Sun, 17 September 2006 00:18 Go to previous message
Zene Gillette is currently offline  Zene Gillette
Viscount
If I use a ported 8x8" bass array what would be best number of speakers per box. Four seems like best compromize. Could some box's port be blocked to change the bass characteristics. In simpler terms, one box ported and the other matching box with the port blocked.
Zene

Previous Topic: What happens to T/S for dual horn drivers?
Next Topic: B&C Drivers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 29 07:10:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout