Home » Audio » Speaker » TC Sounds Array components for DIY
Re: TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23071 is a reply to message #23070] Wed, 12 July 2006 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If the motor was made using a longer conductor to span the distance of a larger membrane, then voice coil resistance would increase and mass would also increase. Both things tend to reduce sensitivity and decrease mass cutoff.

Re: TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23072 is a reply to message #23070] Thu, 13 July 2006 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Individual elements gives you wiring options. If all are wired in
parallel, you get max sensitivity, must make sure you have a good
amp to drive the lower impedance.

Re: TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23075 is a reply to message #23071] Thu, 13 July 2006 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SE-Raider is currently offline  SE-Raider
Chancellor
I was assuming one large membrane and frame with multiple voice coil/magnet assemblies wich could be wired in parallel/series as with a collection of individual drivers.

Re: TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23097 is a reply to message #23055] Wed, 02 August 2006 21:46 Go to previous message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
I really have my doubts about a ribbon that long if it's a "pure" ribbon only suspended at the ends. I suppose a planar magnetic (ala' BG) would be possible in that length; however, it still will have the problems that Jim noted.

A few months back I was sent a prototype of a pure ribbon that was about 24" long. While it sounded pretty good mechanically it was quite floppy. The weight from the magnet structure was about 40 lbs. and it pulled the reversible bit right out of my screwdriver! Not too practical for stacking them to form an array.

Previous Topic: Dipole for an array. Is it...?
Next Topic: Fredarrays
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 14:42:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout