Home » Audio » Speaker » Merit of Mini Desktop Array?
Merit of Mini Desktop Array? [message #23046] Thu, 06 July 2006 09:12 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've become very intrigued with LA approach, but I'm not willing to commit the money and space for a full-sized, floor to ceiling project. Thought I'd get some feedback on the merits of a mini desktop LA project.

What I have in mind is LA about 22" high, sits on a desktop as computer speakers, and used for nearfield listen (approx 24" from speakers). Drivers would be 6 Hi-Vi B3S and single tweeter on each side. Kind of like a mini variation of Jim Griffin's Needles. I'm consider the Hi-Vi vs the Tangbands used in the Needles primarily due to cost. The TB's have increased in cost in the past years and I don't consider them to be the value they once were.

Is the LA approach scaleable to allow for a mini desktop model like this? Would I still be able to experience LA benefits in a mini model or should I just save my money and time?

thx,
Gar.

Re: Merit of Mini Desktop Array? [message #23062 is a reply to message #23046] Mon, 10 July 2006 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Gar,

This is a good idea for a desktop system. Of course it is not truly a near field array but you should be OK for near listening at a couple of feet from the source. The only drawback I can think of might be how well the small woofers integrate with the tweeter at that distance.

Another thought for a near field desktop system might be a single full range driver such as the Creative Sound Solutions CSS FR125S per side. No close up integration issues with that driver.

Jim

Re: Merit of Mini Desktop Array? [message #23108 is a reply to message #23062] Wed, 16 August 2006 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djn is currently offline  djn
Chancellor
I messed around with a number of speakers on my desk top and landed on these. They sound great. VERY detailed, smooth absolutly full range. I am listening to little feet as I type. Cheers./

http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/super%203.htm

Re: Merit of Mini Desktop Array? [message #23109 is a reply to message #23108] Thu, 17 August 2006 07:43 Go to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
A pretty box but not an array. My main caveat with the Omega speakers is that they are long on outward finishing but short on engineering. Often Omega misuses Fostex drivers by employing them in bass reflex vs. superior transmission line designs. As a rule the Fostex drivers have very limited Xmax so bass reflex isn't the proper alignment for them.

Previous Topic: Planar speakers
Next Topic: Conical Confusion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 09:48:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout