Home » Audio » General » Lone Star Bottlehead Pictures
Lone Star Bottlehead Pictures [message #2306] Sun, 09 October 2005 07:57 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Great meeting yesterday in San Antonio. And next weeks it's the Houston Audio Society at my house in Houston and the Dallas Audio Club at Russ' house in McKinney. So much audio, such a big state, so little time. Pictures at the link below:

Re: Lone Star Bottlehead Pictures [message #2307 is a reply to message #2306] Sun, 09 October 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say Fred; Lots of vintage speaks it looks like; JBL/Altecs. Whats up with that?
Any report on the DAC front; I think I remmember you saying you would have some demoes at this meeting.

Re: Lone Star Bottlehead Pictures [message #2308 is a reply to message #2307] Sun, 09 October 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Luther Ward (Wardsweb) is a compulsive vintage speaker buyer, so there always are a few big horns around when the meeting is at his house. I brought the Lite Audio DAC-AH and DAC-60, but neither of the CD players we were using had digital output jacks, so the DACs served only as a static display.

Re: Lone Star Bottlehead Pictures [message #2309 is a reply to message #2308] Sun, 09 October 2005 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Any chance you might comment on how you feel about the older sound vs the more updated speaker designs? I am interested in that aspect of the hobby.

Re: Lone Star Bottlehead Pictures [message #2310 is a reply to message #2306] Sun, 09 October 2005 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It looks like you guys had a great time! So many familiar faces. I wish I could have come, I'll bet it was a blast! Great weather, great looking audio gear too. That toroid trasformer is huge! Cool record collection. I dig the full range horns Jim bought. All the JBLs are cool too. All this makes me anxious for the next GPAF, and I hope everyone will bring that stuff so I can see and hear it in person!

Re: Lone Star Bottlehead Pictures [message #2311 is a reply to message #2310] Mon, 10 October 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That was Luther's new paito which was completed just last week. It's one of the nicest I have seen, and the weather was perfect - sunshine, and temperature in the 70's. Autumn is great in south Texas, especially when it happens on a weekend:)

Paul brought the Toriod. Those big (1.5kVA) balanced power filters usually cost thousands, but a limited number of the toroids are available from Equi Tech for $399. They have a few that were too big for their standard case and they are offering them to diy ers at this price. He used high quality ac receptacles and built in a digital filter from DIY Cable for the digital components receptacle, all implemnted as usual to his exacting standards (Luther and Paul are the perfectionists in our group).

We plan to host a diy room at the '06 GPAF, so anyone who desires can bring their favorite audio gear and show it off. We'll use the 3 Pi Theater speakers to accommodate low power SET amps. I doubt we'll get any refrigerator size horn speakers but I expect to see some cool electronic components. More about this as we get closer to the date.

Vintage Horn Speakers [message #2312 is a reply to message #2309] Mon, 10 October 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
In some ways they are the antithesis of "modern" speakers. They are from an era where a hi fi was an expensive status symbol that few could afford, so having a large size speaker to show to your friends was desirable, and a really powerful amp might put out 30 watts maximum. They don't offer that etched clinical sound, high frequence extension, or the pinpoint imaging that the audio magazine reviewers often rave about in today's speakers. But they are "musical" and non-fatiguing, and they sound dynamic playing at normal volume levels with only a few milliwatts input power. If you want to hear your music loud they will play at movie theater levels with just a few watts. The biggest downside seems to be their weight and size - you can't hide them behind a fern, and no matter how you place them they will dominate the room. Ultra low WAF.

Re: Vintage Horn Speakers [message #2313 is a reply to message #2312] Mon, 10 October 2005 07:52 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks Fred pretty much mirrors my own thought. Here is my perception. Many of the modern speakers get tiring to listen to for long periods; but the good ones are very good in terms of resolution and detail...so good it amazes and is addictive. But except for those few it seems you don't really love the sound of the newer speakers like you do the sound of the best from the past.
I would assume that results from exposure but even when you spend years with another pair of modern speakers the result is the same.

Previous Topic: Ping: Fred/The post is on Gedlee.com/downloads
Next Topic: Marantz MR230 vs 1530
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 05:29:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout