Home » Audio » Speaker » ultimate line array
ultimate line array [message #23050] Thu, 06 July 2006 21:21 Go to next message
mr hayes is currently offline  mr hayes
Chancellor
Gryphon Poseidon

Four-way twin-tower loudspeaker
Constant Phase crossover for perfect phase at all frequencies at all times
System response 6 – 40,000 Hz, + 3 dB (depending on Q setting and room size)
Separate active crossover network for each channel isolated in bass tower
Remote control for Q setting, Bass Level and Low Cut
Time-aligned front baffle curvature for identical arrival time from all drivers at the listening position
34 customized, extensively modified Danish drive units
Special cone surround termination to eliminate edge reflections
Symmetrical vertical driver array for ideal point source presentation
Eight 8” bass drivers for extreme speed and precision with massive air displacement
Custom designed Gryphon bass tower amplifiers capable of delivering 1000 Watts continuously (4 ohms)
Integrated Linkwitz-Greiner Q Controller with preset and custom Q settings for ideal low frequency integration in any room
Hand-adjusted passive mid/high crossover network pre-biased from the bass module
Triple-magnet bass/midrange driver motor system for maximum force and precise focus
Scan Speak Revelator ring radiator high frequency driver in specially developed 1 kg. Gryphon aluminum housing
Four sealed enclosures with extensive internal bracing
Combination of pure wool and synthetic interior damping materials
Stylish string grille for driver protection
Virtually unlimited custom finish options
Designed and built in Denmark

Re: ultimate line array [message #23053 is a reply to message #23050] Fri, 07 July 2006 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greggo is currently offline  Greggo
Baron
Very cool speaker, but is it a line array? I don't think so. The woofer tower probably behaves as an array no doubt, but I am not so sure about the rest. Certainly not above the crossover of the tweeter, which I imagine is somewhere around 2-3kHz but they don't specify. The main tower appears to be an extended 2.5 way with MMTMM arrangement augmented by a second pair of mids above and below. I would call this an impressive statement speaker system, but not the ultimate line array, IMHO. Also, my bias tends to keep me in the straight line array camp and not into the curved thing, my thinking is a curved array creates more problems than it solves, but if you like to listen alone, in the same chair every time and not move your head, then I guess it could be ideal...

Again, it is very cool and I enjoyed checking it out. Thanks for posting.

Greg

Re: ultimate line array [message #23056 is a reply to message #23050] Mon, 10 July 2006 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Pretty cool for commericial product. If you have DIY skills you can
make your own ultimate array for less money.

Re: ultimate line array [message #23061 is a reply to message #23050] Mon, 10 July 2006 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
In reading their material I don't see a mention of line array nor non-near field line array. A focused array behaves as a far field source so I would not expect the benefits of a near field array.

It is a very expensive--likely a placeholder for their high end business. Likely, you not see any of these systems in the USA.

Jim

Re: ultimate line array [message #23077 is a reply to message #23061] Fri, 14 July 2006 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom R. is currently offline  Tom R.
Baron
Jim,
Please explain the following statment, "A focused array behaves as a far field source so I would not expect the benefits of a near field array". HOW IS THIS SO ???

Tom R.

Re: ultimate line array [message #23078 is a reply to message #23077] Sat, 15 July 2006 07:24 Go to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Tom,

A focused array has all drivers creating overlapping radiation patterns so you are not extending the aperture (height in this case) as you do with a near field array. Essentially, you are generating a spherical radiation source with a focused array which is unlike the cylindrical wavefront created by a near field array.

Jim

Previous Topic: Any opinions on AcouPower subwoofers?
Next Topic: Understanding crossover usage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 17:07:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout