Home » Audio » Speaker » Height of tweeter line
Height of tweeter line [message #23000] Thu, 18 May 2006 22:04 Go to next message
JP Haggar is currently offline  JP Haggar
Chancellor
What happens if tweeter line is shorter than ear level when standing ?I guess it wont make a difference for woofer/mid !
JP

Re: Height of tweeter line [message #23001 is a reply to message #23000] Fri, 19 May 2006 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
JP,

You will notice that the highs will diminish if you stand-up after listening in a sitting position. If you like to listen while walking around the room, then this might be an issue. If you only listen while sitting, than if may not be a big deal to you. Why not add another or enough tweeters to mitigate this issue?

Jim

Re: Height of tweeter line [message #23003 is a reply to message #23001] Tue, 23 May 2006 23:34 Go to previous message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Many years ago I built several speakers with Strathearn "ribbons", a two foot tall Irish-made planar magnetic driver. I hated losing the highs whenever the music would move me to jump up and dance around with all the rhythm and grace of an uptight cardboard white boy, so I added a second Strathearn atop the first. That way I was on-axis to one when sitting down, and on-axis to the other when standing up. Unfortunately I didn't know anything about the difference between line source and point source propagation, so those designs were of limited success (big tonal balance shift when standing up, among other problems). Also, of the eight Strathearn ribbons I eventually owned, no two really sounded alike so the imaging would shift a bit depending on whether I was sitting down or standing up. I don't think modern ribbon or planar magnetic drivers have such quality control issues.

I later spent the big bucks on a pair of Gold Ribbon Concepts drivers, and liked those quite a bit. I accidentally did a better job of matching up the radiation characteristics of woofers & the 30" tall ribbon.

If I were doing it today, I'd follow Jim's paper. His line arrays sound much better than anything I ever did with ribbons. In fact, I think a line array is really the only proper way to use a ribbon driver, otherwise its vertical dispersion is simply too limited for the cardboard white boy inside of me.

Duke

Previous Topic: Using Car Speakers With Your Hi Fi
Next Topic: Comments on Eminence LA6 Series?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 02 05:22:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio