Home » Audio » Speaker » Some simple Array questions
Some simple Array questions [message #22959] Fri, 07 April 2006 14:45 Go to previous message
Eric is currently offline  Eric
Baron
I have a few questions about Array's. I've found some great links but most of them are dead.

I'm thinking of building my own high end array. I have a room, 25x20x20, which then expands into a loft area that also rises 20' and makes the real room 25x28x20 with a foyer coming out, also at 20 feet, extending 14' near the back of the room.

I purchased a Yamaha RX-V2600, C-950 DVD player, and a set of Definitive Technology 7002's. I have the matching Deftech speakers for center/surrounds.

Since it was such a big room based on budget and the large sound they produced I went with them. Someone helped me pick them out and I can't say they were a bad choice.

However the room doesn't do well with bipolar speakers. The built in subs do great for HT but I really lack the definition I wanted, especially in bassy hard rock/alternative. Their low volume performance I also do not care for.

I started to look into Array's and they seem to be the answer to what I am looking for. Solid definition across the range, excellent low volume clarity and strength, the WALL OF SOUND effect, etc.

My 7002's for stereo honestly sound like crap to me. Its the room, not the speakers but I am limited in movement. They are already 12" out from the wall as is. We generally listen to DVD Audio and SACD in 5 channel mode so that really masks alot of what I do not like.

The starter questions are. Some papers I read referred to the speakers in an array as woofers. Can a array be made up of tweeters and mid ranges with seperate subs? Or is woofer referring to a mid range?

I plan on doing the fronts along with 2 subs first. I have an Outlaw Audio ICBM and it supports stereo subs. Later on I'd like to replace the center with a center array and rear's also.

Budget wise...I'd say $1,500 for the front arrays but it always comes down to dollar per performance.

If $1,500 will get me 50 percent bettter "performance" than $1,000 then I'd do it, if $2,500 gets me 10 percent over $1,500 then I won't. I won't make a large investment just to skimp out on 10-15 percent.

What about amps? I'll be test driving it with just the 135 off of the Yamaha, but what kind of expecations should I have in purchasing an amp(s)?

The construction is not a problem. I have access to some pretty decent CNC equipment so I just need to draw it up and can have the sections made.

Thanks

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Need help with my first build project