Home » Audio » Speaker » Selah Alexandrite
Selah Alexandrite [message #22912] Sun, 08 January 2006 17:53 Go to next message
MAS is currently offline  MAS
Esquire
Anyone heard it? I'm looking for opinions, comments, etc. I have a pair of BAT VK-120 monoblock amps (tube, but 120W SE) that would drive 'em. It looks to be a beautiful match between lush yet powerful amps and an array using drivers that are known for their extreme resolution....

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Re: Selah Alexandrite [message #22913 is a reply to message #22912] Sun, 08 January 2006 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
MAS,

I haven't heard this particular model from the Selah Audio line. I have spent time with earlier Seas Excel woofers/Fountek ribbon tweeters line arrays from Rick Craig and have been very impressed. The Excel drivers are special and well known for their very low distortion and should really shine in these arrays. At the Rocky Mountain Audio show in October he had the XT8 (Vifa XT woofers) and Fountek ribbons arrays for listening and I enjoyed hearing them.

As the sensitivity of these arrays in the low to mid 90's, your amp has more than enough juice to make them sing. That performance coupled with the current 15% off line array sale should be enough to seal the deal.

Jim

Jim

Re: Selah Alexandrite [message #22977 is a reply to message #22913] Wed, 12 April 2006 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JP Haggar is currently offline  JP Haggar
Chancellor
Hello
Since you are in describing the sound of an array , I take the opportunity to ask you a question. You are one of the well known experts in the field of line arrays and I am sure if you had your own designs available commercially you would be very succesful , why dont you ?

Re: Selah Alexandrite [message #22979 is a reply to message #22977] Thu, 13 April 2006 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
JP,

The question is how do you make a small fortune in the speaker building business?

First you start with a large fortune and ......

The high end loudspeaker business is very fragmented with numerous small manufacturers competing for a declining market (car audio and home theater are the biggies these days). The low and middle portion of the speaker market is controlled by the big box retailers who demand low price foreign made products. One would not wish those market directions on a new business venture.

My personal question was did I wish to screw-up my retirement from a 30+ years engineering career by going into the speaker building business?

My decision was to use develop my audio/acoustics knowledge while using some of those engineering skills after I retired from the aerospace field. Thus I do the engineering for speaker designs, develop speaker prototypes for my own usage, share my designs with others, and finally have no regrets on starting a production line. I'm my own boss.

Jim

Re: Selah Alexandrite [message #22980 is a reply to message #22979] Thu, 13 April 2006 08:47 Go to previous message
JP Haggar is currently offline  JP Haggar
Chancellor
Jim
I couldn't agree more : you have to have money to generate more money!!
All My life I wanted to be an acoustic eng. but I ended up being an Architect then a furniture disigner and manufacturer , and I do a lot of speaker enclosures but I'm not good with xovers .My wife is not very happy with all these enclosures I have at home !
Thanks
JP

Previous Topic: Behringer and Arrays
Next Topic: New open baffle bass driver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 15:35:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers