Home » Audio » Speaker » please advice: 8 drivers, 95dB, 6ohm+
please advice: 8 drivers, 95dB, 6ohm+ [message #22900] Wed, 04 January 2006 09:31 Go to next message
Dav is currently offline  Dav
Esquire
To the LA gurus out there:

I'd like to build a quasi array using 8 5" drivers and a single dome tweeter at its center. I've read Jim's paper and Im stuck with achieving the following goals:
- 8 drivers per side
- roughtly 95dB efficiency
- minimum 6 ohm load
The drivers i plan to use have 86dB eff each @ 8ohms.

Doing the basic math described in Jim's paper, I 'best' I can do is 4 parallel groups totalling 98dB and 4 ohms.

The only solution I can think of is to add series resistance (4ohms) to get down to 95dB and 8 ohm load.

My questions are then:

Is this a acceptable solution?

Is series resistance a good approach?

If so, should I use several equal resitors in parallel for proper resistor/power managememt?

Is there another option/solution?

Thank you all in advance!

Regards
Dave

Re: please advice: 8 drivers, 95dB, 6ohm+ [message #22903 is a reply to message #22900] Thu, 05 January 2006 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RKM is currently offline  RKM
Esquire
1) Make 4 ohms work...get a new amplifier!

2) Use an autoformer: it transforms from one impedance to another:
http://www.zeroimpedance.com/
or 'matchit' from parts express:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=302-305

I have not personally used either of these, but I do use McIntosh amplifiers which incorporate autoformers to drive low impedance loads such as my DIY ribbon at 1 ohm.

Re: please advice: 8 drivers, 95dB, 6ohm+ [message #22906 is a reply to message #22900] Thu, 05 January 2006 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Dave,

Let me comment on a few items in your posting:

You said: "I'd like to build a quasi array using 8 5" drivers and a single dome tweeter at its center. I've read Jim's paper and Im stuck with achieving the following goals:
- 8 drivers per side
- roughtly 95dB efficiency
- minimum 6 ohm load
The drivers i plan to use have 86dB eff each @ 8ohms.

Doing the basic math described in Jim's paper, I 'best' I can do is 4 parallel groups totalling 98dB and 4 ohms."

Comment: With the assumption that you have either a sealed or vented box and that it is out in the room a bit, you will need baffle step compensation which will cost you 3-6 dB of that woofer sensitivity that you were planning to have. Hence, your array will likely run in the 92-95 dB sensitivity range.

By the way, what dome tweeter are you using to keep up with the woofer line? Most dome tweets are best case in the low 90's sensitivity.

You said: "The only solution I can think of is to add series resistance (4ohms) to get down to 95dB and 8 ohm load."

Comment: With 8 drivers you can connect them as you have in mind in 4 parallel groups of 2 in series to get a 4 ohms impedance. You could go to a 16 ohm impedance by using 2 parallel groups of 4 in series.

I don't recommend series resistors in the woofer line unless you take the increase in Re into account when you size/tune the box. A thought is to add another woofer so that you have 9 in the woofer array (connected as 3 parallel groups of 3 in series) which yields 8 ohms array impedance for 8 ohms drivers.

Jim

Thank You [message #22911 is a reply to message #22900] Sat, 07 January 2006 14:46 Go to previous message
Dav is currently offline  Dav
Esquire
that was good advice Jim...opens up further options which is what I was after. Never been good at EE.

ps - wow, got sticker shocked with that 'zero' device...only in America right!

Previous Topic: Advice please
Next Topic: Could this be the perfect OB driver???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 28 18:24:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio