Home » Audio » Speaker » New Cheap Quasi Line Array
Another Thought [message #22864 is a reply to message #22863] Thu, 01 December 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
As I re-read my "advice" post it occurred to me that some might conclude I was suggesting a line array built for under $1K wouldn't sound good. Not so. Even an array like the one I'm building with $3.99 woofers will sound better than much of the stuff you hear at Best Buy. The issue I was addressing is: At what price level is it better to build a non-array speaker using better quality drivers than you could afford to incorporate into a similarly priced line array?

Instead of talking in generalities I'll offer two examples of exceptional under-$1K two way monitor designs, the Selah Audio SA-1 and the Ellis Audio 1801B. The Selah kit incorporates a 7" Vifa XT series woofer and a Fountek ribbon tweeter and sells for $595 with deluxe crossover parts. The Ellis kit uses a 7" Seas Excel magnesium cone woofer and a Hypquphon dome tweeter with deluxe crossover parts and sells for $750. I have heard the Vifa/Fountek combination in another speaker and the difference between these drivers and all the under $30 drivers I have heard is HUGE / ENORMOUS /AWE INSPIRING. I have not heard the Seas/Hyquphon combination, but I would expect it to be even better.

So assuming I know I will be using a good quality 50 watt or greater tube amp or a 100 watt solid state (eliminating the need for a high sensitivity speaker), would a line array or one of the two monitor speakers offer better bass control, midrange clarity, soundstage, imaging, resolution, musicality, air, PRT, or whatever criteria I use to define "high end"? At the $600-$750 price point a quasi line array would offer greater sensitivity and dynamic range plus a larger soundstage, but I still believe either of the two monitor speakers (linked below) would be the better choice for my listening preferences.

http://www.selahaudio.com/id46.html

http://www.ellisaudio.com/1801.htm

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Any thoughts on this driver?
Next Topic: Interesting quote
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 08 16:29:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout