Home » Audio » Speaker » Modeling the mid woofers for Xover
Modeling the mid woofers for Xover [message #22824] Wed, 28 September 2005 17:10 Go to next message
Danse is currently offline  Danse
Esquire
Hi,
Thinking of builbing a "needle type" array.
Can anyone tell me how to calculate the parameters of 14 mid bass drivers tapered 3-3-4-4.
I can't find any software that will model this.
Thanks

Re: Modeling the mid woofers for Xover [message #22832 is a reply to message #22824] Tue, 04 October 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric J is currently offline  Eric J
Viscount
WinISD will do the modeling without the taper. Do that. Once you do the taper thats for blooming. I think, but you need to ask Doc Griffin for sure.

eric j

Re: Modeling the mid woofers for Xover [message #22833 is a reply to message #22824] Tue, 04 October 2005 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Danse,

For box calculations I model a single driver and then multiple the individual single box by the number of drivers in the array. For instance for a 10 mid woofers box you would need to multiple by 10 to get the size of the large box. Now that would be easy for a sealed box but what I do is to segment the large enclosure so that only a few drivers are in each smaller box. The individual segments effectively add bracing which is usually a good thing. For a vented box just compute the venting for the segmented box. For my Needles I used 4 segmented boxes which enclosed 4 drivers each. Some software like BassBox Pro will compute multiple paralleled drivers in a box but that wouldn't cover all cases for arrays.

You can use techniques in my white paper to compute the overall SPL and impedance when you series/parallel the drivers.

Jim

Re: Modeling the mid woofers for Xover [message #22834 is a reply to message #22833] Wed, 05 October 2005 18:06 Go to previous message
Danse is currently offline  Danse
Esquire
Thanks Jim and Eric,

The box modeled well enough in BassBox Pro.
I'm using Hi-Vi 14 B3S Mid bass and one Fountek Neo 3 Ribbon.

I also Modeled 4 drivers in series and 3 drivers in series and worked out the average parameters of the two. Then set the average parameters up as one driver. Used the average parameters and set it up as 4 drivers in parallel. Model a simple Xover in Xover Pro to get started.

Question: is baffel step the same as regular speakers?

Once I have finished the boxes and simple Xover I will will take measurements with Just MLS and see how I could finalize in LSPCad.

Previous Topic: Subhornor bass horns only
Next Topic: stands
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 09:10:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout