Home » Audio » General » Dr. Lee and his review of RMAF
Dr. Lee and his review of RMAF [message #2280] Wed, 05 October 2005 07:03 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Read an interesting essay regarding the lack of attendance at RMAF this year. Dr. Lee approaches this through the lens of speaker design. I agree with much of his analysis where speaker sound is concerned. It does take some time to learn a speakers sound/speakers do grow on you when they are designed well while poor designs tend to grab you initially then get tiresome eventually. You must bring your own music when auditioning loudspeakers.

He is aggreived at the lack of attendance and blames mis-information held by most attendees regarding amplifier use and front-end applications. The front end does matter even though 75% of the sound is the speakers and the room and the music; but thats a dead horse around here so let me address something on my mind.

I believe the real issue is this; there is no music around that anyone would care to listen to. Outside of all that elevator jazz recorded for SD speakers and a few independant labels that are mostly in the Americana and roots divisions of the lexicon there is nothing worth hearing.

All of the classical repretoir has been done and the re-issues of old jazz do not require a good system to play since most are recorded in mono anyway. In the 60's/70's the music drove the stereo industry. People bought because they loved the music and wanted it to sound good.

In the 50's the original audio pioneers loved the great jazz from that period as well as the classical offerings. Even in the 90's there was a reasonable output of good country and new jazz music.
But we have reached a point where nothing inspires. Until that changes the audio world is doomed to a long slide down to irrelavency.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message