Home » Audio » Speaker » Going from 3 to 12 tweeters...
Going from 3 to 12 tweeters... [message #22796] Sat, 27 August 2005 10:07 Go to next message
skaloumbakas is currently offline  skaloumbakas
Chancellor
Hi,

I am using the Genesis 300 speakers which are using 3 tweeters on the front (2 mid/high tweeters and one super tweeter between them)

Question A:
- Would you encourage me take the plunge and go for 12 tweeter in array (all the same no supertweeter)? It will now look like their Genesis 201 latest model and the tweeter array will have a 45" height.
or...
- It is not worth the cost of ordering the extra tweeters and x/o (from Genesis) and the work to make the extra holes?

In case I stay with the 3 tweeters...

The configuration of them is:

t - st (ear level) - t (symmetry)

Question B:
- Should I change their relative position to:

t - t (ear level) - st (asymmetry)

to avoid comb filtering with the mis/high tweeters (as theory says, I do not have a clear audible indication for that). They are now at 8" center to center distance and getting them close, they will be at 4" distance (those tweeters are working f/ 3.6Khz - 8 or 10Khz, I am not sure...)
- Ofcourse, if I change, the supertweeter will loose its ear level height, because a mid/high yweeter will take its place...

My listening position is at 3.75 m. if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Christos Skaloumbakas

Re: Going from 3 to 12 tweeters... [message #22803 is a reply to message #22796] Sun, 04 September 2005 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eric j. is currently offline  eric j.
Esquire
I should think that the distance between those tweeter will give you a huge problem with comb filtering at only 12 feet. I have a PE neo's that I cutting to the core edges to avoid the coming at least out to about 18Khz, well beyond my hearing

I should think you have some combing already. Also running them that high you probalby need to tapert too.

But I refer to people like Jim Griffin who are the real experts here.

eric j

ribbon tweeters are not suffering so much... [message #22804 is a reply to message #22803] Sun, 04 September 2005 23:41 Go to previous message
skaloumbakas is currently offline  skaloumbakas
Chancellor
Thanks Eric,

In my G300, all three ribbon circular tweeters start coming in at around 5,500Hz, with the center tweeter full range, and the top and bottom tweeters starting to roll-off at 8,500 Hz.

A far as those ribbon tweeters, they are not cones or domes or slot ribbon/panels. What they are, are actually ring radiators. Hence, they are neither circular drivers nor are they line sources. As ring radiators, they act as a hybrid of the two types and they are not supposed to suffer so much from comb filtering. (This is what they say... Probably Jim has some comments to make to the above statement)

Coming to think of it, going from 3 to 12 tweeters is risky (because there is no way coming back), but as far as my present 3-twt's status, I feel quite happy with it and I will stay like that, for the time being...

BR
Christos

Previous Topic: Why do they cost so much??
Next Topic: Fostex 167E distortion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 02:35:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout