Home » Audio » Speaker » Two New Line Array Kits
Two New Line Array Kits [message #22775] Fri, 12 August 2005 07:11 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Selah Audio and GR Research are both offering newly designed line array kits that sell for less than $1,000. Rick and Danny are able to offer "quasi array" kits at this price by combining an array of woofers with a single centrally located ribbon tweeter. Enclosure plans are included with both kits. I have built quasi array and full array enclosures before, and the quasi array enclosures are no harder to build than point source two-ways, just a bit more work.

The Selah "Day Tek" kit includes nine Dayton RS-150 woofers with a single Fountek tweeter. It is designed to be augmented with a subwoofer, but a full range version that subsitutes eight RS-180 woofers is available for the same price ($800/pr). The Day Tek tweeter is located alongside the woofer array, so the enclosure can be modified later to include a full tweeter array. A photo can be seen on the Selah web site gallery pages.

The GR Research array includes eight of GR's proprietary M-130 woofers and a RA-104.5 ribbon tweeter. The RA8 is offered as a joint GR/RAW Acoustics kit and will be unveiled at the RMAF. The "pre order" price is $800; regular price will be $900. The RA8 is a ported full range design. Photo of the unfinished enclousure at the Audio Circle GR Research forum. The RA8 will be a bit easier to build than the Day Tek because the M-130 woofers have a smoothly curved flange, so a simple cutout with no recess can be used.

These new offerings are significant because they provide an opportunity to own a line array that uses high quality drivers for about $1,000 including the price of the enclosure materials. Past offerings in this price range have been few, and they were usually compromised by their budget priced drivers.

Links-Two New Line Array Kits [message #22776 is a reply to message #22775] Fri, 12 August 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rudy Jakubin is currently offline  Rudy Jakubin
Esquire
The DayTek's
http://www.selahaudio.com/id103.html
The RA8
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=20593

Very nice design's. Congrat's to both of them.
The DayTek's are intrigueing. "Add more ribbons later"...

Re: Two New Line Array Kits [message #22777 is a reply to message #22775] Fri, 12 August 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAW is currently offline  RAW
Chancellor
Fred
The RA8 is a RAW Acoustics product.
Danny is designing the RA8.
I have Danny doing the crossover design as he has done something very similar for a customer in the past.
And I have no issues with having Danny design the crossover at all.

Yes the complete RA8 can be made for around $1000.00
MDF
poly
ect

That was my objective with the RA8 $1000.00 complete

Re: Two New Line Array Kits [message #22778 is a reply to message #22777] Fri, 12 August 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the clarification about the fact that it's a RAW Acoustics product. I have built some speakers using a woofer array with a single tweeter. The drivers in mine were not as good as the ones in the RA8, but I still found this type of array offers most of the advantages of a full woofer & tweeter array at a much more affordable price. This will be a nice addition to the other diy speaker kits that are available.

Re: Two New Line Array Kits [message #22779 is a reply to message #22778] Fri, 12 August 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAW is currently offline  RAW
Chancellor
Thanks.
Yes these types of arrays have a few good points to them.
Best of all the price.

Re: Links-Two New Line Array Kits [message #22780 is a reply to message #22776] Fri, 12 August 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justinc is currently offline  justinc
Baron
The dayteks also have a fantastic matching center channel available. The pair up on Ricks site are mine, and I must say for the price I think this type of design is the way to go. Even after I spent quite a bit on that maple burl veneer The arrays ended up only costing around $1100. They did take a while to build but it was well worth it in the end.

Re: Links-Two New Line Array Kits [message #22781 is a reply to message #22780] Fri, 12 August 2005 16:41 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
With the burl veneer they're definitely some of the nicest looking enclosures I've seen.

Previous Topic: Question on wires between binding posts & cones
Next Topic: directivity
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 07 23:54:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout