Home » Audio » Speaker » Line Array woofer system
Line Array woofer system [message #22754] Fri, 29 July 2005 08:35 Go to next message
eric j. is currently offline  eric j.
Esquire
I was in discussion recenty with a friend about shifting my sub woofer system on the 2 way array that I'm building, to a full 3 way array with a line source woofer array too.

To keep the cost down I would use $11.25 Goldwood 7 inch poly woofers(fs=35), and use four of them per side in a sealed design, to keep the bass tight. Modeling on WIN ISd, I would need a 1.5 cu ft box for each. To save on weight, I would use 12 inch sonotubes with 3/4 inch MDF end plugs, and lots of fiberglas fill.

Crossover would be at about 200hz. The modeling shows it ruler flat to 40hz, down 4 db at 30hz and down 7 at 25 , which would have to be equalized out(system already has active crossovers and a DOD constant Q equalizer.)

What do you think?

Re: Line Array woofer system [message #22755 is a reply to message #22754] Sat, 30 July 2005 08:38 Go to previous message
Rudy Jakubin is currently offline  Rudy Jakubin
Esquire
I was going to do something similar, but with the Dayton 8" Classics after reading the Biddy-Boom thread on PE.
I also modelled the Goldwood 7" Silver Poly's.
What hurts is the Xmax, it's only 2.5mm. So instead of 4 per side, I decided on 8 per side. Using the 8 ohm version I would get 4 ohms total.
I'm guessing your going to use the 4 ohm version, that'll get you 4 ohms.
My version of the Bitty Booms;
What's neat about this idea is stacking the tubes on top of each other.
It'll sorta look like torpedo tubes or cannons. I was going to do mine in silver, using the PE silver vinyl and paint the MDF silver also.

What's neat about your idea is that the cones are already silver.

Just something for future thought - leave some room for future expansion. I just think 8 per side will provide the bass you need.

I just finished the 8 - 7" Dayton Aluminums test boxes (sealed) and they sound great. Today or tomorrow I'm going to start on the other side (channel).

I'm still going to do the Goldwood Silver Poly's - 8 per side in the future. Don't know about the Dayton 8's Bitty-Booms???
I might turn the Dayton 8's into a full range line array (8 per side ) with the Hi-Vi B1S 1" Mid/Tweets #297-411. Sometime next week I'm going to test the Hi-Vi's with all of the woofers I have. To see which will match the best.
Good Luck!!! Rudy

Previous Topic: Great Plains Audio 704-8A quick notes
Next Topic: Looking for line array people
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 09 01:59:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers