Home » Audio » Speaker » Sealed compartments
Sealed compartments [message #22611] Tue, 03 May 2005 15:33 Go to next message
greenie512 is currently offline  greenie512
Chancellor
This is a follow on thought to my posting below.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to creating sealed compartments for my speaker groups in an array or should I leave it as one long (well braced) box.

Cheers - Phil

Re: Sealed compartments [message #22613 is a reply to message #22611] Wed, 04 May 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Phil,

It probably does not matter for a sealed box with the assumption that the box is well braced. I insert braces/shelves in my boxes primarily to help the rigidity of the enclosure and to brace the structure.

If your box was vented, I would suggest that multiple ports located near the drivers would be better than a single port. Separate ports would help distribute the air load on each driver.

Jim

Re: Sealed compartments [message #22614 is a reply to message #22613] Wed, 04 May 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greenie512 is currently offline  greenie512
Chancellor
Jim - just the man. Was originally doing your suggestion but took it one stage further to a solid shelf? will go back to straight bracing and do muliple ports also.

While your here, could I get your opinion on power tapering. Could you look at my ealier post below and make any comments you think are saliant.

Cheers - Phil

Re: Sealed compartments [message #22618 is a reply to message #22614] Wed, 04 May 2005 09:59 Go to previous message
taylor is currently offline  taylor
Chancellor
FYI, Heres an array with separate compartments and tiny separate ports.

http://www.bottlehead.com/valve/whamodyne%20files/page8.html

taylor

Previous Topic: proac clones
Next Topic: Yamaha NS-1000M
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 18:20:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers