Home » Audio » Speaker » Large Heils & Hi-Vi M8A's
Re: Large Heils & Hi-Vi M8A's [message #22557 is a reply to message #22556] Thu, 24 March 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Thatch_Ear is currently offline  Thatch_Ear
Chancellor
Hi,
The SPL is an interesting question and since I don't have a lot of experience building arrays I don't know the answer, but it sure beats the hell out of me how using 8 of those will raise the SPL up 10 db, which is where the Heils will be. You can't use the SPLs of the ESS speakers because the woofers were not near as efficient as the AMTs.

I do like the idea of multiple fast low FS drivers that will let you cross at 3K. Depending on the roll off you might be able, or need, to cross even higher if you plan on using a 6db high pass.

One thing that I have thought that would work very well with AMTs is to build dipole arrays. The only arrays I built (took one to Fred's once) had 12 drivers with 6 per side running out of phase. They were cheap old alnico drivers, had no bottom but were almost like electrostatics when it came to voicing. Reason I thought of this is that multiple drivers using the same air in a dipole configuration are very quick. You will not get extra bass from the box, but you will stay phase coherent with the AMTs, and since the AMT is a dipole it has a weird logic. Against that logic is the speed of different wavelengths, but how much difference that would make in a room shouldn't be noticable.

As for how much raising of the SPL you will get from using 8 drivers is something I would like to know myself.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Dynaudio
Next Topic: Discontinuity in horn : is it important ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 04 04:20:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio