Home » Audio » Speaker » Selah Audio XT8 Construction Photos
Selah Audio XT8 Construction Photos [message #22506] Sat, 26 February 2005 07:38 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
After building several budget line arrays I decided to build a "high end" array. It's the Selah Audio XT8, but I'm calling it the XTended 8 because it's the ported version with lower bass extension and also because the enclosures will be about a foot taller and 4" deeper than the standard version. For anyone who's interested I'm documenting the enclosure construction at the link below. The original XT8 is pictured in Rick Craig's listening room at http://www.selahaudio.com/id52.html

Re: Selah Audio XT8 Construction Photos [message #22523 is a reply to message #22506] Wed, 09 March 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike T. is currently offline  Mike T.
Esquire
Looks like another great project. What type of dampening material will you be using? I have been collecting lots of different types of materials from the scrap bins here at work with some interesting finds- Black Hole seems a little pricey to me! Also- the Zalytron marketed Axon 8-12 array I am currently building does not have any bracing called for in the design, this does not seem right to me, what do you think? Any thought/ideas would be helpful.

Mike Thompson

Dampening and Bracing [message #22524 is a reply to message #22523] Wed, 09 March 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'll be using Parts Express #260-516 eggcrate foam on all the interior surfaces plus a layer of 3 1/2" fiberglass builders insulation on the back panel. It seems curious to me that an extended mdf panel would have no bracing - I would ask the folks at Zalytron whether they belive some interior bracing would be appropriate. It could be they omitted it to simplify the design, or maybe they tried an enclosure with bracing and found it didn't make a significant difference in the sound.

Re: Selah Audio XT8 Construction Photos [message #22527 is a reply to message #22506] Wed, 09 March 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bhamphile is currently offline  Bhamphile
Esquire
XT8 Arrays: I'm the owner of the XT8 arrays on Rick's website and that is my room. Rick came and set them up for me and we A/B'd them against a highly acclaimed speaker. For listening results you can email me.

Re: Selah Audio XT8 Construction Photos [message #22528 is a reply to message #22527] Thu, 10 March 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What a tease! I appreciate your tact, but I'm eager to know your impressions too. Please do tell.

Re: Selah Audio XT8 Construction Photos [message #22529 is a reply to message #22528] Thu, 10 March 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bhamphile is currently offline  Bhamphile
Esquire
My design is the sealed box design because I already had two subs. As the spec's indicate, the lower end started to decline at around 70 Hz and we set the processor to crossover at 60 Hz. This created a seamless integration of sound for bass, midrange, and treble. The Vifa's do a great job of extension even without the subs and what can be said of the ribbons...they're just fantastic sounding. As expected they project a very wide soundstage but you need to be seated for critical listening as the vertical dispersion is limited.

I have not run any test CD's yet because right now we doing some re-remodeling to the ceiling and installing room treatments. As soon as this is completed, I will evaluate them further and you may email me for my thoughts.

Re: Dampening and Bracing [message #22530 is a reply to message #22524] Thu, 10 March 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
The support from Zalytron has not been what I would have liked. I will probably just add some cross bracing very similar to what you are doing in the XT8 to provide support. Hope to have these finished before too long. Still deciding on finish. Thanks for the input. -Mike T.

Re: Dampening and Bracing [message #22532 is a reply to message #22530] Thu, 10 March 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Too bad about the vendor's support. After sale support has been one of the better features of the diy kits I have built from Bottlehead, Selah Audio, Sonic Frontiers, etc. I don't suppose some additional bracing could do anything but help as long as it doesn't change the internal volume of the enclosure. Today I installed the damping material in the enclosures and glued the back panels. I used the Parts Express eggcrate foam for the sides, tops and bottoms of the woofer sub enclosures but ran out (it took 8 sheets to do both speakers) so I used 3" fiberglass home insulation on the back panel.

Re: Dampening and Bracing [message #22540 is a reply to message #22532] Mon, 14 March 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I was looking at your construction pic's for the Fredarray and was wondering what you finished them in. They look nice in the pictures- I like the black finish. The finish I will use on the Axon array is still undecided. I am a little shy of veneer so I am looking for alternatives. Thanks- Mike

Paint [message #22541 is a reply to message #22540] Mon, 14 March 2005 10:15 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I painted them with Rustoleum Satin black paint from a spray can. The secret is in the preparation and appliction. First, you have to paint all surfaces, especially the rough mdf ends, with a 50/50 mixture of carpenters glue and water, let it dry overnite, sand, and do it again. Then you apply three coats of the paint about 15 minutes apart, let it dry for 72 hours, and sand with 220 grit paper. Then apply a coat, wait 24 hours, and apply another. Needless to say, you have to clean the surface with a tack cloth between sanding and painting.

There's another color I like even more. It's Rustoleum American Accents Claret Wine. It drys much quicker than the standard satin black. You have to do all the above steps, but the waiting time between steps is 24 hours instead of 72. See an amp stand I did in that color below. I plan to do the fronts of the XT8's in Claret Wine.

Previous Topic: Jim Griffin
Next Topic: Voight pipe upgrade
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 18:25:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout