Home » Audio » Speaker » center design?
center design? [message #22505] Fri, 25 February 2005 00:34 Go to next message
Dave Peterschmidt is currently offline  Dave Peterschmidt
Chancellor
Does anyone here use their arrays as HT speakers? If so, what kind of design matches well as a center for an array? I'm planning on designing a substantial speaker, probably around 7 feet tall using the WR125ST and the Fountek NeoCD2 tweeter. These will be for use in a dedicated theater, but I'm having trouble deciding what to do for a center. I don't really like the idea of simply laying an array on its side, since, the way I understand it, the tweeter array would no longer have limited vertical dispersion, which is important in a theater. I've thought about simply building a third speaker, stand it upright behind the screen, but I'm not thrilled about having to go to a perforated screen. Is there a horizonal center design anyone knows about that can keep up with a set of high-powered array mains?

Re: center design? [message #22509 is a reply to message #22505] Mon, 28 February 2005 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
I'm planning on just that as a project this summer, using two vertical arrays placed to either side of the screen wired together to appear as one source.

Re: center design? [message #22510 is a reply to message #22509] Mon, 28 February 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Bill, I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean. Wired together to appear as one source? Could you explain a bit?

Thx,
Dave

Re: center design? [message #22512 is a reply to message #22509] Sat, 05 March 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andy G is currently offline  Andy G
Viscount
I think Bill means that he will actually have 4 speakers at the front. The outer pair would be the L/R channels, the inner pair would be really close to the screen and both get fed the centre channel signal.. not a bad idea Bill, and certainly solves some centre channel issues. Wonder if it will introduce other problems.

Please keep us informed.

Re: center design? [message #22514 is a reply to message #22512] Sat, 05 March 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hmm, interesting idea. Unfortunately it probably won't work for me as I'm going to be running a front projection system with a big screen. The "center" arrays would nearly be in the same positions as the mains. I'll probably end up experimenting with putting an array on its side to see how that works, or simply putting it behind the screen.

Re: center design? [message #22526 is a reply to message #22514] Wed, 09 March 2005 15:17 Go to previous message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
My mains and 'centers' will also end up pretty close to each other. I'm hoping that the two center boxes will image together to seem to be coming from the middle of the screen and not either side, only by building them will I know. Using NSBs and Onkyos it won't be a major investment in any event.

Previous Topic: I'm starting my first NSB line array... quick questions
Next Topic: Port vs Sealed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 15:51:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout