Home » Audio » Speaker » Thoughts on focused arrays and the phase problem
Re: Thoughts on focused arrays and the phase problem [message #22495 is a reply to message #22493] Wed, 16 February 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave Peterschmidt is currently offline  Dave Peterschmidt
Chancellor
Good observation. I hadn't thought of that. I suppose one could bevel the lower edges of the steps to remove the edges, but there might still be some effect. Something to think about, for sure.

the interference field? [message #22496 is a reply to message #22485] Wed, 16 February 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
Button in his paper argues that the high frequencies are attenuated due to interference in the near field. I would think this would be eliminated with a focused array. This could be a new thread topic on this board.

I would mount the drivers on axis to the listening point to get the most benefit of the drivers designed flat on axis response.

http://www.jblpro.com/vertec1/doug%20button%20258%20final%20rev%20c.pdf

-Linc

Re: the interference field? [message #22497 is a reply to message #22496] Wed, 16 February 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave Peterschmidt is currently offline  Dave Peterschmidt
Chancellor
So the attenuation would be caused by wave cancellation as the phase discrepancy approached the wavelength of the sound, is that the idea? That should be a measureable phenomenon, as should your proposed fix.

Re: the interference field? [message #22498 is a reply to message #22497] Wed, 16 February 2005 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
I think most people want a large "sweet spot" for their sound system so the focused array is not their design of choice. Pro sound needs to have every seat in the house be a good seat. So not many people have a need to measure the focused array performance. Measuring my system is on my list of audio things to do. I have a 16 nsb focused array. The flat array phase shift always made me hesitant to build one. I am thinking of making a straight 16 to see how the sound will be different. I heard Jim's needles and they seemed to have a similar sound. I think it is the nearfield effect that I like. Jim gave a short talk and he pointed out the different way the nearfield sound field produced from an array sounds compared to a point source.

-Linc

Re: Thoughts on focused arrays and the phase problem [message #22503 is a reply to message #22490] Wed, 23 February 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Anton is currently offline  Paul Anton
Esquire
Jim,
I have also read the initial reveiws on the css wr125s driver.
The arrays you mention ,I assume, are the Lambda and Omega LS kits on the CSS site. I have not found any reveiws on these models as of yet. Where did you find these "initial reports"?
Thanks,
Paul

Re: Thoughts on focused arrays and the phase problem [message #22504 is a reply to message #22503] Wed, 23 February 2005 21:51 Go to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Paul,

On the DIYaudio site you can checkout Dave D.'s (Planet 10) comments in the Loudspeaker thread on the Northwest DIY event in Vancouver last fall. One thread reference is:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45268&perpage=10&pagenumber=3

See post #24.

Dave also had a post on this area last week on the same subject. See

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51613&perpage=10&highlight=wr125&pagenumber=4

Post #32.

That will get you going. Likely you can find others by searching.

Jim

Previous Topic: Favorite flavors
Next Topic: Line Arrays in Rooms w/ Sloped Ceilings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 15:36:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers