Home » Audio » Speaker » Finished a new array
Finished a new array [message #22453] Mon, 31 January 2005 01:31 Go to next message
Allan is currently offline  Allan
Chancellor
I tried a shorter array than my last one to see how it works for sitting only. It works quite well At 8-9 feet away, it's perfect and I can't get any further away so what happens after that is speculation. The Peerless 850234 drivers are quite nice - better than I expected. Overall, this one's a keeper I think.

They're wired parallel/series for 4ohms and I'm crossing at 200hz and 4khz right now. I'll play around with the XO this week as well as trying them mirrored with the tweeters on the inside. No complaints so far.

Re: Finished a new array [message #22454 is a reply to message #22453] Mon, 31 January 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those are really attractive!

Great job!

Re: Finished a new array [message #22455 is a reply to message #22453] Mon, 31 January 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Allan;

I saw your post about -> "16 NSB, 8 PT2 tweeters per side"...
I'm starting a project with these same speakers for a friend.
I have PT2 tweeters that I will give him and I ordered those
NSB's to play around with.

Got any tips for integrating the NSB to PT2?

crossover you use?
sealed vs. open baffle sound ?

Re: Finished a new array [message #22456 is a reply to message #22455] Mon, 31 January 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
thylantyr,

"Got any tips for integrating the NSB to PT2?

They seem to integrate themselves pretty well. As I mentioned before, it's helpful to have some way of boosting/attenuating the individual lines in the array. If you really wanted to go whole hawg, having some EQ available to flatten the HF rolloff above 10khz would be pretty cool.

"crossover you use?"

I'm using an active 3-way XO (Ashly XR2001). If I remember right, I think I had the XO at 150hz and 3.5khz in the end for the NSBs, but it seemed to work well with a pretty large deviation from those points too. Probably a taste thing.

"sealed vs. open baffle sound ?"

I don't have room to get speakers away from walls in here, so my dipole experiments have been less than successful. I built the NSB arrays as OBs initially, but ended up closing off the backs. Alot of people with the room to do it in, have had good success running them as dipoles however, so that'd be up to you and whether or not you can take adavantage of it.

These new arrays are sealed. I went for a standard Qtc of .7 with some fiberglass to soak up reflections back thru the cones. I won't be doing anymore dipole speakers in here except for quick listens to hear the drivers.

Re: Finished a new array [message #22457 is a reply to message #22454] Mon, 31 January 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne. I don't usually spend anytime on cosmetics but I tried to learn a few more things about making them look good on this set. It was actually kinda fun.

Re: Finished a new array [message #22458 is a reply to message #22456] Tue, 01 February 2005 16:45 Go to previous message
Anonymous
Thanks for the tips.

Previous Topic: I would like opinions on NewForm 645R V2 please
Next Topic: Tangband Array & Home theater
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 16:15:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers