Home » Audio » Speaker » New array in progress...
New array in progress... [message #22438] Thu, 20 January 2005 07:56 Go to previous message
cmanning is currently offline  cmanning
Chancellor
I have built two arrays in the last year, and now it's time for a third. Both of the previous were 16 NSB's. One of them used a liine of 24 Onkyo's the other used two PE PT-2's. Both of these designs used 14" open baffles with support "wings" (quotes here 'cause they are really not wung out) mounted at right angles to the baffle. The supports were tapered from 12" at the bottom to 3" at the top. They are pretty attractive and received a B+ from the wife. They are 7'4" tall. They have a fantastic sound. My only thought to explain the freat sound is that the 4" drivers hit so fast and the array provides that "physics" boost.

After hearing a pair of McIntosh XLR-29's, I thought I might build an array with two columns of NSB's and a line of PT-2's. Clearly all the NSB's would be minimum C/C distance in both row and column. The base of the arrays will be a Fitz Tuba 18. Here are my questions...

1. The front baffle will be ~18" wide... perhaps 21" if I use 1-1/2" stiles on both sides for wing attachments. What sort of wings should I be considering? How wide, and what angle to best reduce bass step?

2. I will be bi-amping these (using MOX project active boards). What are the advantages of building two stereo chip amps or should I consider building a four channel? I clearly need much less power on the HF side. Would it be advised to build a lesser power amp for the tweets although ultimately this only saves a few cents?

3. I have read Jim Griffin's white paper... twenty times. There's one in the bathroom and one on the nightstand.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Array Length/diminishing return
Next Topic: fostex speakers in Japan
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 28 11:13:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio