Home » Audio » Speaker » Array Length/diminishing return
Array Length/diminishing return [message #22434] Tue, 18 January 2005 08:15 Go to next message
DSM is currently offline  DSM
Esquire
Is there a maximum length a line can be? At what number of WL do we reach diminishing returns on any added length?

Re: Array Length/diminishing return [message #22435 is a reply to message #22434] Tue, 18 January 2005 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
>>Is there a maximum length a line can be?
Yes, depends on the lowest freq. your shooting for and the c-t-c spacing of the drivers.

>>At what number of WL do we reach diminishing returns on any added length?
Again it depends the freq.

Attached is a link to Jim Griffin's white paper on the subject, a vary good paper with lots of info, it's what I used when I designed up my arrays. Plug in some numbers and it'll give you some idea.

HTH
Bill W.

Re: Array Length/diminishing return [message #22436 is a reply to message #22435] Tue, 18 January 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DSM is currently offline  DSM
Esquire
So, its non-linear? I understand it must be longer at lower freqs. (longer wavelenght) My question was at what number of WL(s) do we see diminishing returns. I was thinking about trying to suspend 48 4" NSBs I have lying around here doing nothing. Outside of course.
Not that I would expect it to be hifi. Just an experiment.

Re: Array Length/diminishing return [message #22437 is a reply to message #22434] Wed, 19 January 2005 08:55 Go to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
DSM,

You don't state what your basic concern might be in extending the length of a line. The pat answer is that you should have a line length that places your listening position well within a near field. A floor to ceiling line length would place the entire room in the near field. At low frequencies you should assume coupling to the floor and ceiling surfaces as the line will image from this planes at their lower frequency limit (see my white paper for discussion and a diagram). In theory you would have a lower freqeuncy limit but a floor to celing line array would work as a line source down to the bass limitations of the individual driver. That means don't expect 20-30 Hz bass coverage from a driver that cuts off around 100 Hz even though you have an array that has 100's of these drivers.

Bottom line: You should read my white paper as it covers the line length issue in detail.

Jim

Previous Topic: Port Tube Length
Next Topic: New array in progress...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 04:09:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers