Home » Audio » Speaker » Parts Express DOTD - $5 Vifa Woofers
Parts Express DOTD - $5 Vifa Woofers [message #22417] Thu, 30 December 2004 13:04
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Just wondering if anyone else has bought some of the 4.5" JBL woofers PE is offering for $5 each (part #299-495). I used these in my Anorexiarrays and was pleased with the sound. When I saw them on sale I ordered 24 more to build a pair of 12 driver arrays. The downside is that they were designed for satellite enclosures and will not go much below 90 hz, so you need a sub with them. The upside is that the enclosure is very easy to build because it only needs to be about 7.5" wide by 6" deep, and the drivers don't have to be recessed - you just cut a circle and set them in it. Still undecided about which tweeter I'll use - possibly the 96dB titanium dome MTM that Bottlehead used in their Straight 8 design - it's a bit bright without a notch filter, but that's easily included in the crossover design. Using this tweeter, generic air core inductors and dayton caps in the crossover the whole thing should cost no more than $250 everything included. It will be a tube friendly 9 ohms impedance and about 96dB efficient.

Read Message
Previous Topic: JVC
Next Topic: OOPS - I Meant MCM Tweeter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 03 13:17:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers