Home » Audio » Speaker » Can I get some feedback on this design???
Can I get some feedback on this design??? [message #22401] Sat, 18 December 2004 18:56 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Why is it that whenever I read something called a "white paper" my brain freezes up?
I have 2 large trapezoidal MDF panels, 12 4" 89 cent drivers and 1 15" JBL M115 woofer each. The woofer will go in the wide bottom of this OB and the 12 full rangers up an array with a bout 1" space between them. I'll let the woofer roll off and let the full-rangers run without any crossover. 8 ohms across the board.
Waddya think?

Re: Can I get some feedback on this design??? [message #22402 is a reply to message #22401] Sun, 19 December 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have my 50 cent 4" drivers mounted on a board 8 per panel
and have tested them just straight, no chaser. Fitz is
promising to give us something to do with some added components.

My 8 up line arrays give a nice effect, but I still don't
know what optimal will be.

signed,

Yoder.

Re: Can I get some feedback on this design??? [message #22403 is a reply to message #22401] Sun, 19 December 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Bill,

You really need to have a line of tweeters for this project. The spacing that you envision for the mids indicate that comb line effects and loss of directivity will dominate above 5000 Hz. If you would run the frequency response of such a system, you would see that the on-axis response would fall from flat (the level between 200 to 3000 Hz) above 5000 Hz and would be down 10-20 dB in the 10-20 kHz octave. You would need serious equalization to flatten out such a response. Off axis it would sound phasey and in some locations in the room you would have dips and drop-outs.

Depending on the width of the baffle you would have the dipole baffle shorting effects on the low end of the band but you already know about that issue. Again equalization can alleviate and help the transistion between the subwoofer and the mids.

Bottom lineis that their is no easy way to achieve a full frequency range line array system without crossovers between bands. You can use a 31 band equalizer to cover some of the shortcomings but a properly designed system will sound better fromt he get go.

White papers are kinda nice if they keep you from driving down blind alleys and dead end streets on the way to sonic perfection.

Jim

TLAH is on the Billfitzmaurice.com site [message #22404 is a reply to message #22402] Mon, 20 December 2004 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim York is currently offline  Jim York
Esquire

He posted it today.

Re: TLAH is on the Billfitzmaurice.com site [message #22405 is a reply to message #22404] Mon, 20 December 2004 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I guess we will have to (as theuy say in the music biz)
"sweat him for some licks" on this one. I'm not knowing
where exactly the horn portion of the design is on this one.

My ceiling is too high to effectively mount this. At first
I thought the *pic* was in there upside down.

If this is a planned project for audio express, I don't
know what I'll do. See message about subscription problems
in ART General which I am about to write.

Re: TLAH is on the Billfitzmaurice.com site [message #22407 is a reply to message #22405] Tue, 21 December 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Your ceiling height doesn't matter, the boxes are intended to mount at listening level or a bit higher, as they tilt downward, but they could be mounted upside down close to the floor as well. The horn loading, which is minimal, is accomplished via the corner placement, though that is optional. Mid wall or stand mounted away from the wall are other options.

Re: TLAH is on the Billfitzmaurice.com site [message #22408 is a reply to message #22407] Tue, 21 December 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hmmm. Ok.

So that original *pic* which look a bit slanted is an
accuirate representation.

I'm seeing just the 4 inchers and the tweets but no details of
the casework. Well, I guess I'll have to wait for publication.
I would guess from your other designs that the line array would
focus the energy from the backwave either up or to the sides in
a mirror image and in a v-shape.

The samples... or proof of concept I guess... that I have are
just the 4 inchers at the top end of a baffle with overall height
of 48 inches. The stand for them is jimmy rigged.

Re: Thanks, Jim........I think........ [message #22409 is a reply to message #22403] Tue, 21 December 2004 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I guess I'll just have to buy a few dozen of the 24 cent mylar tweeters.
I really tried to figure from your white paper how to compute the distance between drivers but got lost.I even considered milling a slot in the board but they're square and a diamond would be necessary to find the wood with a screw.
Guess that project will have to sit awhile.

Re: Thanks, Jim........I think........ [message #22410 is a reply to message #22409] Tue, 21 December 2004 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jdybnis is currently offline  jdybnis
Esquire
Read some of the other posts on this board. I think you'll see that your question is answered over and over again.

Re: Thanks, Jim........I think........ [message #22411 is a reply to message #22409] Wed, 22 December 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Bill,

All of what I say below is explained in my white paper but this is the shorthand version on driver spacing.

I suggest that you space the drivers center-to-center less than one wavelength apart at their highest frequency of operation (usually the crossover frequency or 20 kHz for tweeters). Thus if you have say a 4" driver with the outside frame dimension also 4", then the highest recommended frequency of operation is 3390 Hz when the frames are touching. In your case you are using 4" drivers spaced 5" c-t-c apart so you should crossover before 2712 Hz.

For circular (dome or cone) tweeters the less than one wavelength spacing issues limits their upper frequency ability--one wavelength at 20,000 kHz is 0.68" so this would indicate a very small frame tweeter. As the ear is less sensitive to combing in the 10-20 kHz octave, you can get by with c-t-c spacing as close to twice the 0.68" but that would not be the best sound.

The issue that occurs is that if you go to wider spacing than one wavelength then at a frequency equivalent to 2 wavelengths spacing would create comb lines. Above one wavelength spacing you will see loss of directivity and the frequency response will start to fall from flat. For most line array applications the drivers are located as close as practical to each other for this reason and a crossover no greater than a frequency of one wavelength spacing. This is the criteria suggested in several AES papers by JBL engineers.

Other researchers (L'Acoustics for one) suggest spacing drivers c-t-c no greater than a half wavelength at their highest frequency of operation. That creates an even more restrictive criteria for practical implementation.

Jim

Previous Topic: Array Angle
Next Topic: All Fun Horn plans - help please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 18:18:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers