Home » Audio » Speaker » Array
Array [message #22371] Fri, 19 November 2004 00:27 Go to next message
JPH is currently offline  JPH
Chancellor
I'm just a beginner in speaker construction , I've built a 3 way with bad crossover , but I got help on the net and the result is very acceptable . I'm looking into array speakers, as I understand the realism is unbeatable , Zalytron offers very cheap kits and others much more expensive designed by JOE D'Apolito. There are two questions that arise to me , first is : some designs uses just one tweeter while others use as many as 8 with the same number of mid/bass drivers , do you get the same result in imaging , realism , etc . 2nd how much is the influence in the overall sound in arrays when choosing budget drivers versus more expensive ones , will it make all the difference ( I'm just curious of knowing the difference between the 900 $ kit usin Axon drivers compared to 2000 and more $ with Focal drivers or others )
Last but not least my room is 5.5m x 7m x 3.15 m high , is there a rule of thumb as per the height of the array versus size of room , or number of tweeters versus mid/bass , I'm just too confused .
Any suggestions for a Kit around 1500 $ that will do justice to this room size and this speaker design ?
Thanks
JPH

Re: Array [message #22373 is a reply to message #22371] Fri, 19 November 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I think you'll probably be interested in talking with Jim Griffin and Rick Craig. They've done a lot in the world of line arrays for home use.

What I think they'll say to you about the single tweeter verses an array is that if the midwoofers are an array, then a point source tweeter is sort of mismatched. A point source delivers a different coverage pattern than an array, and so if you mix them, you'll have different sound characteristics from the tweeter than from the midwoofers.

Anyway, FredT300B started a thread about array kits a while back that you might be interested in. There were a few mentions of array kits there.

Wayne

Re: Array [message #22375 is a reply to message #22371] Fri, 19 November 2004 20:49 Go to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master

JPH,

I hope you have read my near field line array white paper but if not, you can download it at the link below. The white paper will cover many of the questions you raised--height of line/number of drivers, near field extent, etc. Understanding that paper will help you in your project planning/design.

The Linus 2 design (larger array in the picture) uses 10 Vifa TC14 and 8 Silver Flute YAG20-1 (or Parts Express Pt2) per side. The Linus 2 is a true top to bottom near field array. The entire room would be in the near field. The Linus 2 kit was available through Rick Craig's Selah Audio (www.selahaudio.com) but he has recently moved on to high end arrays. You can contact me for info on the Linus 2.

The Needles array--smaller ones in the photo--use a single high quality Aurum Cantus G3 ribbon tweeter in the middle of 16 Tang Band W3-371S drivers is what I call a quasi-line array--it is not a true near field array but has many of the same virtues. The single height and distance from the established within the room. The Needles array is available as a kit from Creative Sound Solutions (http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=NEEDLES).

Jim

Previous Topic: Fountek ribbons
Next Topic: new accoustic transducer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 05:39:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers