Home » Audio » General » Funny How...
Funny How... [message #2223] Sat, 17 September 2005 18:11 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
this ART has morphed into something quite different than what I thought it would. Almost as if it has become the stereo/speaker/culture of middle class middle age white guys/political common reflecting philosophy/study of engineering debate legal opinion of the average guy/ who works with wood forum.
And of course Waynes topical pictures of media and cultural example posting's.
The three Stooges one was brilliant..brilliant I say!
Missing of course is musical references; Electratig must be on vacation.
I am watching a show on IFC about the birth of the Punk Rock movement. Man some strange bands involved. Stranger than even audiophiles.
Naah; I take that back.

Re: Funny How... [message #2224 is a reply to message #2223] Sun, 18 September 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Well, judging by what I've seen at CES (Alexis Park), at regional audio shows, at local DIY gatherings, at my former retail shop, middle aged white guys are a serious majority of those interested in the hobby. There are some exceptions, of course, but by and large that's the way the hobby looks. I take that back - CES enjoys a huge influx of Asian audio afficianados.

I'll get another chance for a reality check at RMAF in two weeks.

One fairly wild exception - Rick Rubin spent quite a while in the Audio Note room this past CES. While he is, indeed, a middle aged white guy, he has produced the Beastie Boys, Johnny Cash, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Neil Diamond and System of a Down, as well as some rap & hip hop artists (?) There's a weird and wonderful mix for ya!

Re: Funny How... [message #2225 is a reply to message #2224] Sun, 18 September 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
He's the guy we need; someone who's artistic vision extends to the equipment.
Plus there really is only so much you can say about anything.

Re: Funny How... [message #2226 is a reply to message #2224] Sun, 18 September 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don't know if it's true for everybody, but I've been facinated by reproduced sound since I was a kid - the spark really turned into a flame when I found out that there was something in the world to play records on besides my parents Zenith console.

I think maybe it's the same for most middle age white guys interested in this stuff - the reason that it seems dominated by middle aged white guys is that when we were kids we didn't have the resources to play but once we got to a certain stage in life we got to blow some of the cash we would have blown as kids if we'd had it.

I bet most of us are still mentally 17 year-olds who now have the chance to be really stupid with our money - a lot of pent-up frustration being unleashed.

Re: Funny How... [message #2227 is a reply to message #2226] Sun, 18 September 2005 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hey Charlie; You're out and about?
I became interested when I started working nights and weekends and had kids. I couldn't play live anymore so I started looking around for some good sound to listen to.
There was a friend who's father ran a used stereo store so we would get to listen to lots of stuff. The sad thing is I could have kept the equipment I had as a beginner and been just as well off.
My concern now is at the point where I can begin to understand how things work I just might become too old to participate and enjoy the whole concept. Building isn't fun when your eyes can't see small objects and your hands can't grip little tiny parts.

Re: Funny How... [message #2228 is a reply to message #2227] Sun, 18 September 2005 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey, Bubba

At home digging out - getting there. Internet back up today.

As far as too old goes, think Grandma Moses; you just have to get inventive in your "golden years".

Re: Funny How... [message #2229 is a reply to message #2228] Sun, 18 September 2005 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I geuss I better get started.
Glad to hear your situation is improving.

Re: Funny How... [message #2230 is a reply to message #2226] Mon, 19 September 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think you're exactly right. Same thing goes for car enthusiasts. I know that's the story for me, on both counts.

What Punk film? [was] Re: Funny How... [message #2231 is a reply to message #2223] Wed, 21 September 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Erf, can't do NT on here I guess.

I've seen most of the history of punk films but not
The Decline of Western Civilation by
Penelope Spheeris. I think she did a followup to
that as well.

In retrospect, Repo Man is overrated, Tank Girl is
underrated.

Rhino just released a new boxed set of The Ramones.

Re: What Punk film? [was] Re: Funny How... [message #2232 is a reply to message #2231] Thu, 22 September 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
This was on IFC; it was a survey of all the bands going back to The New York Dolls and Iggy/MC5 up to and past Sex Pistols. After that I lose track of the names; not my thing. When Punk was popular I was attending every Blues concert I could. Wish I had some tapes of those.

Previous Topic: Monitor Audio MA2
Next Topic: How can you help a fallen hi-fi friend??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 25 09:00:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio