Home » Audio » Speaker » driver tweak to King BR box
driver tweak to King BR box [message #22048] Wed, 31 December 2008 14:04 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Many months ago Bob Brines told me I could remove the cast basket off my Lowther EX-2's to make them DX-2's seemed dangerous an after months of irration at how bad the King BR box sounded I did it--and boy was Bob spot on! Major improvement!! come to find from serious surfing that there are few designs with the EX 2--especially in the DIY world...now a new search for a DX-2 box to build! Jim

Re: driver tweak to King BR box [message #22049 is a reply to message #22048] Wed, 31 December 2008 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Not sure what you mean. To me, the basket is the frame. Can't very well remove that. Are you talking about a magnet cover or something?

What changes? Do the T/S specs change, perhaps by removing a vent plug or something?

Re: driver tweak to King BR box [message #22051 is a reply to message #22049] Thu, 01 January 2009 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Wayne,

Here is the back of an EX4:

And here is the back of a DX3:

(Sorry about the scale, but that is all Lowther offers.)

Note that under the EXx cover is the complete, unmodified DXx frame, basket, whatever, including the binding posts.

As to T/S changes, I doubt that there is any change at the small signal level, but major changes at large signal. I have not measured these. The EXx cover severely damps the back wave. An EXx will not load a resonant cabinet, whereas a DXx works just fine in a MLTL.

If you buy a new EXx, you get the lemon squeezer phase plug. New Dxx comes with the bullet phase plug. I prefer the bullet, but YMMV. I would have brought my MLTL's loaded with DX3's to LSAF, but....

Bob

Re: driver tweak to King BR box [message #22054 is a reply to message #22051] Thu, 01 January 2009 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

From the looks of it, the EX cover is pretty significant. I expect there may be some changes even at the small signal level. The volume of air behind the cone and the area of the openings forms a sort of chamber/throat relationship. This will affect the electro-mechanical parameters and it should be readily apparent in measurements. I would definitely measure T/S parameters after removing the cover to know what the modified driver does.

Re: driver tweak to King BR box [message #22055 is a reply to message #22054] Thu, 01 January 2009 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
You may be right about the small signal parameters. I took the backs off of my EX2's years ago and don't have a before/after comparison. As always, note that Lowther's published figures are pure fiction. My numbers agree with MJK's for the modified EX2>>DX2. Martin also has T/S numbers for many of the Lowther drivers.

Bob

Re: driver tweak to King BR box [message #22056 is a reply to message #22055] Fri, 02 January 2009 09:00 Go to previous message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
I have always wondered if you could model the a Lowther EX driver as an undersized bass reflex system, which you then put into a larger resonant enclosure. The potential result could be similar to a double bass reflex system. If this were the case, and the designer mistakenly put the EX driver into a DX cabinet then it would not be too surprising that a non-optimal system was the result. Maybe there would be some advantage gained if the cover was modeled and the designer actually took it into account when designing the enclosure. I don't have any EX drivers so this is pure speculation.

Previous Topic: ex2- to dx2
Next Topic: GMI Sound D-49
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 23 10:39:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout