Home » Audio » Speaker » SEAS Exotic
Re: SEAS Exotic [message #22032 is a reply to message #22031] Mon, 10 November 2008 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
I think the SEAS Exotic, the Feastrex, the Fostex FE138ES-R, and a few other full range drivers that are new to the market all face the same set of problems attracting DIYers.

1) Cost - DIYers hate to spend money, only a select few will spend over $200 per driver. I really think the limiting cost is between $50 and $100 per driver.

2) Designs - Most DIYers are better at building then designing. They will take a well developed design, one that others have built and discussed, and tweak it to meet their goals. They really want a well documented and reviewed design for a driver before they are comfortable taking the plunge.

I do not believe there are many DIYers that will buy a new expensive driver if there are no "proven" designs available and a significant amount of positive feedback. Specific to the SEAS Exotic is the problem of it not being too efficient with too high of a Qts so the flea powered tube amp crowd is probably twice put off. I think that the SEAS Exotic is going to be a hard sell and probably not going to develop much of a following among DIYers. It may be a great driver but to me it seems like SEAS missed the target market with this driver.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How to burn-in array speakers
Next Topic: MLTL Single Driver Full Range Bipoles
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 04 09:22:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio