Home » Audio » Speaker » DCA5.5M musical experience
DCA5.5M musical experience [message #21824] Fri, 15 June 2007 21:05 Go to next message
Eric Gonzales is currently offline  Eric Gonzales
Baron
i bought mine already built. I paired mine with a Vista Audio i84 and an Oppo player running analog out. Music i listen to are jpop, pop, classical, jazz from dvda's/sacd's. This piece is really great-sounding (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVAD-91200). Before these kinds of discs go extinct, buy 'em.

Back to dcas. They have incredible bass. I've been so content with them i stopped shopping (ya, right). Hemps are wonderful speakers too. But I noticed they didn't have much midbass. In my setup, you have to turn up the volume high to get the bass out of the DCAs with the vocals getting loud. I always thought balanced power might boost the lower octaves of the tube amp + a good braided 11ga cable. So I tried it. I ordered a custom balanced power unit with 2 transformers (1 for oppo, 1 for vista audio) and no IEC13 connectors or an incoming AC power connector. The cables are hardwired. They go straight to the gear. Here's a pic. (http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5403&sid=ead7b63f117fa0a6e4cc4c4417564f6c). Next, I custom ordered an 11ga braided speaker cables from jinsanity life.

These changes really made the DCAs create musical life. Bottom frequencies are low, i can feel my chest pounding. It's like the loudness eq is on but there's no button. With the system complete, i'm back to listening music and watching dvds. Even with movies, these things have incredible bass.

hope this helps. happy music !

Re: DCA5.5M musical experience [message #21827 is a reply to message #21824] Sat, 16 June 2007 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks for sharing Eric! Can you tell me which balanced pwer unit you orderded (from whom) ?
I myself liek dthe DCA 5.5 Ms in a PAWO horn with the Vista audio amplifier a lot. What box are you using your DCA in?

thanks
-akhilesh

Re: DCA5.5M musical experience [message #21828 is a reply to message #21827] Sat, 16 June 2007 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
i use them in a onkin type of enclosre. I get good bass from the beginning but hard to turn it up loud. When I added the jinsanity life cables + custom balanced power, the dca sounded fuller. Sometimes it even sounds like there's a sub inside. I don't need to turn it up loud anymore to get lots of bass.

custom balanced power unit - www.custom-ht.com
the unit I had built is mentioned here:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5403&sid=9dc4da145d3b58c6ff507f23f4d70c31

Re: DCA5.5M musical experience [message #21830 is a reply to message #21824] Sun, 17 June 2007 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gabbe is currently offline  gabbe
Chancellor
hi Eric,

can you tell me where can i find the spe of the trans ?

gabbe

Re: DCA5.5M musical experience [message #21831 is a reply to message #21830] Sun, 17 June 2007 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
The website for the power unit is www.custom-ht.com. You can email Gary at ebay@custom-ht.com.

Re: DCA5.5M musical experience [message #21832 is a reply to message #21828] Mon, 18 June 2007 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks Eric! And you think it made a large difference to the sound? Do you use any other power cleaning? I use a PS audio balun type device (ultimate outlet) that I found made a large difference in my sound, since a balun uses transformer transmission as well (i think).
thanks for sharing this one.
-akhilesh

Re: DCA5.5M musical experience [message #21833 is a reply to message #21832] Mon, 18 June 2007 21:42 Go to previous message
Baron
i would say it made the sound livelier. And a lot of the little instruments being played are also accentuated. The amp is plugged in to the bp unit then to an inexpensive sinewave ups. But no ultimate outlets or bybee stuff. The zero autoformer is intriguing though.

Do you know of any tube amps for the car like milbert without the price tag ? There's a diy trans for car tube use I found but that's about it:

http://www.audiohobbyist.com/projects/smps.htm

Previous Topic: Dave Merrill has some health problems
Next Topic: Pinging Griffin - Linus Plans?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 15 12:58:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio