Home » Audio » Speaker » Akhilesh - 12B4 question.
Akhilesh - 12B4 question. [message #21645] Fri, 28 July 2006 20:55 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I know you have Jef's other 12B4. I was curious what your thoughts on using this amp into the PAWO horns with a plate amp running the sub. Are the PAWO horns efficient enough for the 12B4?

Re: Akhilesh - 12B4 question. [message #21648 is a reply to message #21645] Sat, 29 July 2006 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Shane,
I would say: no, simply becuase of efficiency. The amps are about 0.9 watts.
They are great for the Khorns (104 db). really not great for anything below 100 db. I would use at least a 10-15 watt amp with 4 inch drivers dong work above 90 Hz, asuming the 90-94 db eff available currently with these drivers.
Hope this helps!
-akhilesh

Re: Akhilesh - 12B4 question. [message #21649 is a reply to message #21648] Sat, 29 July 2006 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yep. That answers my question. I'm running the 12B4 through my Pi Two Towers as they are probably the most eff speakers I have, besides the old Heresy's which are about the same as the Pi's. My old Polk Monitors don't stand a chance. I don't tend to listen very loud (not nearly as loud as any of the demo rooms were running at GPAF) and so far the little amp seems to do fine at my usual listening levels. It'll run out of gas if I boost the volume up, especially with complex music. Limitations of flea powered amps

I really want to try the small drivers you had at Tulsa with a sub sometime this fall/winter as a side project.

Re: Akhilesh - 12B4 question. [message #21652 is a reply to message #21649] Sun, 30 July 2006 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Shane,
Right. The problem would be in compression: most music has a 20 db dynamic range (and it could be just a couple of instruments & a singer but still have large dynamics). If you listen at 85 db (moderate-low level) you would still need to go to at least 105 db to not have compression by your system.
hence the amp works great with K horns, but I would not recommend it for anyting less than 100 db.
I must say it does make my K horns sound like single drivers...in that it emphasizes the midrange really well.
Let me know when you are ready to start with the 4 " driver project.
-akhilesh

Re: Akhilesh - 12B4 question. [message #21654 is a reply to message #21652] Sun, 30 July 2006 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks Akhilesh.

This gives me a good reason to upgrade to another set of Pi's for more efficiency! Really though, I finally got a chance to listen to the 12B4 for several hours today and it did really well with everything except speed metal, and then only ran out of gas and sounded poor when I ran it louder than I usually listen at. It reproduced guitar, vocals, and instruments very well on everything from classical to jazz to blues. Really did everything I had very much to my satisfaction. It reproduced the bass every bit as well as my 50watt NAD amp at my usual listening levels. Everything I remember when I heard it at GPAF on the Pi Towers. I am really glad I went ahead and bought this from Jef.

I saw where Parts Express had their Dayton sub kit on sale for $260 or so. Not a bad price.

Re: Akhilesh - 12B4 question. [message #21655 is a reply to message #21654] Mon, 31 July 2006 08:17 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Cool, Shane. I agree...it is a great little amp!
Ideal for a set of passively crossed horns/BR.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: any one know these speakers?
Next Topic: Dynaudio / Max-Fidelity
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 13 05:04:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout