Home » Audio » Speaker » Mounting from the rear can be a pain the in ...
Mounting from the rear can be a pain the in ... [message #21593] Thu, 15 June 2006 10:37 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
What's the story with these vintage speakers that give you no choice but to mount from the rear? Won't the front baffle protrusion interfere with the sound? And I'd have to build the cabinet with a removable back or side panel to gain access to the driver.

Is there some secret benefits to rear-mounting that I can't see?

Re: Mounting from the rear can be a pain the in ... [message #21594 is a reply to message #21593] Thu, 15 June 2006 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I never understood that either. I think it was an aversion to having fasteners showing or something.

Re: Mounting from the rear can be a pain the in ... [message #21595 is a reply to message #21593] Fri, 16 June 2006 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sometimes they did it so they could glue the grill right to the baffle boards like they did in the old console stereos. Now days you have to do it if your mounting the speaker to a front loaded horn.
Bill W.

Re: Mounting from the rear can be a pain the in ... [message #21596 is a reply to message #21595] Sat, 17 June 2006 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You know, you're exactly right. I remember thinking the same thing looking at the grille cloth on old console stereos, but that's been a long while back. I had forgotten, but I think you must be exactly right.

Re: Mounting from the rear can be a pain the in ... [message #21725 is a reply to message #21594] Sun, 08 October 2006 13:58 Go to previous message
Tom Kimpton is currently offline  Tom Kimpton
Esquire
Also, I believe many of those speakers where open baffle (rear or bottom open) so they were easy to get to.

Tom.

Previous Topic: paper cone vs.alumminium cone
Next Topic: Questions about box tuning F3, F10, etc.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 16 06:28:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio