Home » Audio » Speaker » ANyone hear ever hear phy-p drivers?
ANyone hear ever hear phy-p drivers? [message #21422] Thu, 02 February 2006 19:36 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm curious.
-akhileshb

Re: ANyone hear ever hear phy-p drivers? [message #21424 is a reply to message #21422] Sat, 04 February 2006 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
I had a pair of PHY KM30 drivers for a while.

For a fullrange driver, they had a nice bottom end. The tonal balance wasn't thin, which is fairly rare, and the sweet spot was wider than average for its type (okay the piezo-on-a-stalk makes it two drivers, but for all practical purposes it's a single driver). Clarity was good to very good at low to medium volme levels, but fell apart if you cranked the volume up to "moderate rock-out" level. I think the problem was that the x-max was only 1 millimeter, so it didn't take much to move the voice coil outside its linear range.

If you are absolutely committed to the purist single-driver approach and don't mind spending that kind of money, I'd recommend the 8" Supravox 215-2000 EXC field coil driver. Despite its smaller cone area, it can displace 2.5 times as much air before exceeding its 5 millimeter x-max. It also has a nice warm tonal balance as long as you don't crank up the voltage too high on the field coil, and while the sweet spot is fairly small the 215-2000 EXC is the best-imaging single driver I have ever heard. I don't really place a high priority on imaging, but certainly won't complain if it's thrown in for free.

Duke

Re: ANyone hear ever hear phy-p drivers? [message #21425 is a reply to message #21424] Sat, 04 February 2006 20:55 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks Duke !
That's a very helpful post.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: New speakers with review!
Next Topic: coral 8 drivers best use
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 04 16:23:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout