Home » Audio » Speaker » What measurements matter to audibility?
Re: What measurements matter to audibility? [message #21398 is a reply to message #21388] Mon, 19 December 2005 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
robertG is currently offline  robertG
Chancellor
Floyd Toole wrote very interesting papers a while back when he was at the CNRC.
He also wrote less interesting papers at the head of Harman International R&D!
For one, he wrote that any half decent engineer (or hobbyist for that matter) could design a "flat" speaker. That is true. On the other hand, he also noted that flat frequency response did not matter much, unless a broad resonance was present in the system. That is also true. But how come modern-day JBL, Revel and Infinity (all Harman products) were NOT considered true audiophile stuff?
In my opinion, the answer is musical coherent contrast, that is the ability for a speaker system to convey a true sense of scale by rendering both infinitely small musical detail and infinitely variable loudness in a phase and time coherent way. Call it dynamics, but coherent dynamics: all drivers equally efficient and able to respond to minute amplifier signal. I guess only full range drivers in a back horn can achieve this.
For sure, I'm very partial about fullrange driven horns as I design those. But I also like to design regular BR boxes too. The overall best is horn loaded as the efficiency is very high and thus able to render both detail and loudness.
Of course, I also like other types of speakers, but all things being equal, only a horn has the ability to give musical contrast. And THAT cannot be measured as acurately as a FR plot...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Could this be the perfect OB driver???
Next Topic: Cheap and easy phase plug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 07 18:20:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout