Home » Audio » Speaker » What measurements matter to audibility?
What measurements matter to audibility? [message #21388] Fri, 16 December 2005 14:05 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Very interesting discussion below on the goodness of Voigt pipses versus folded VPs versus Straight MLTL versus back loaded horn.
The bottom line question from a listening perspective is: which of these isses are audible?
For example, is the superiority of a certain box design over another (while measurable) really audible?
Of course, the only way to answer this is through scientific sbjective testing, but there is some work already done in that area (notably by Floyd Toole). It seems that low distortion, flatness of frequency curve and to some degree, a uniform off axis decay are preferable over others. A uniform FR curve is +/- 3 db.
So, the question is, as long as a design manages to do these, or comes close, is it worth going the trouble to do the rest?

For example, people spend a lot of money on back loaded horns. I prefer to use a simple BR box, but to use subs & supertweeter.
If I were using ONLY a BR box, versus a BLH, clearly I wold hear the difference. But with a sub, and a crossover at say 80-90 hz, what difference does it make if I am using a BR or a BLH ? Can I really hear it?

I think we should all be cautious about designs that, while they measure better, may not be audibly better.
(Of course, this should not prevent us from creating better designs!)
Anyway, just my thoughts for the day!
See you all the meeting tomorrow at my place!
-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Could this be the perfect OB driver???
Next Topic: Cheap and easy phase plug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 28 22:29:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout