Home » Audio » Speaker » what are power extremes/ or nominal power to be....
what are power extremes/ or nominal power to be.... [message #21354] Thu, 24 November 2005 15:59 Go to next message
ARTIdaho is currently offline  ARTIdaho
Chancellor

expected for single drive speakers? I am fairly new (and lurking) to the concept and use a 70 + Technics SU 8600 integrated amp and would like to build a BLH using a 8" Fostex or something in that order.

Re: what are power extremes/ or nominal power to be.... [message #21355 is a reply to message #21354] Fri, 25 November 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Depends on the efficency of the driver/horns and the SPL level you desire.
I am running 5 watt battery P/S gainclones on my horns using the Fostex 208e sigma and a ribbon tweet. Use to be a 206e and i was running 24 watt SMPS P/S gainclones and found the volume position to be a bit touchy. The SPL would have a tendancy to jump up or down according to the recording. I have a far greater control and a much more tube like sound at the lower voltage P/S. With the efficency of the horns i really dont believe more than 10 watts is necessary, but thats MHO.
ron

Re: what are power extremes/ or nominal power to be.... [message #21356 is a reply to message #21354] Fri, 25 November 2005 16:35 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'd build the speaker first, and try it wth your current amp. Then, if you like, you can try a SET amp. But first, it would be good to hear the speaker and see if you like it. Changing to a SET amp will make a difference, but not a huge one.
Hope this helps. Just my 2 cents.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Folded horns with curves, about 60 – 500 Hz
Next Topic: Conical front horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 06:41:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers