Home » Audio » Speaker » Benefits of a wideband driver for off axis decay
Re: Benefits of a wideband driver for off axis decay [message #21320 is a reply to message #21319] Thu, 06 October 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
I've played around with high-efficiency wizzer-coned Fostex drivers a bit of late, and their HF radiation pattern is considerably wider than piston theory would predict. But then I suppose that's to be expected of a driver in breakup, which is what I think is happening with a wizzer cone.

The system I recently built and displayed at RMAF is based on the Fostex FE-206E, and in the design I went to some length to generate a well energized, tonally fairly well-balanced reverberant field, making a few trade-offs along the way. I did not try to control the pattern tightly, as I don't think this type of driver lends itself to particularly well-controlled radiation patterns. For instance, even with a lot of toe-in (Geddes-style) I was still getting some undesirable sidewall interaction from the 8" diameter Fostex drivers, and had to resort to using a plant along one sidewall.

In my experience a good horn or waveguide-based system does a considerably better job of radiation pattern control, provided attention is devoted to minimizing the pattern discrepancy between woofer and horn where they transition. A good fullrange driver has its attributes, but when it comes to pattern control a waveguide or constant-directivity horn is a much more effective device.

Duke

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message