Home » Audio » Speaker » Adire Extremis 6s for discussion
Adire Extremis 6s for discussion [message #21278] Mon, 05 September 2005 14:20 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
New scuttlebut is that Adire has a new full range for pre-order
called the Extremis 6s.

I haven't seen any previous discussion on it. Perhaps some
opinion can be generated here.

After a few links that didn't work I found the specs:

Fs 30 Hz
Qms 2.54
Qes .383
Qts .332
Vas 33.2 liters
SPL 86 dB @ 1W, 1m
Power 100W RMS/300W Peak
BL 9 N/A
Xmax 13mm one way
Sd 140 cm2
Vd 364 cm³
Le 0.13 mH
Re 7.02 Ohms

Re: Adire Extremis 6s for discussion [message #21279 is a reply to message #21278] Mon, 05 September 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

Not surprised as the 'plain Jane' wide BW woofer version is 'killer'. FYI your cab is way too small to take advantage of this driver's LF potential and requires a 15" long vent to flatten it out, so you'd probably need a somewhat longer one.

GM

Re: Adire Extremis 6s for discussion [message #21280 is a reply to message #21279] Tue, 06 September 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well if this thing is the cat's ass, I can find a piece
of 2"x15" pvc for a buck or so.

But I haven't seen a *pic* or price on these things at all,
just that some have preordered them. Maybe too pricey.

But I'm curios as to what designs will develope with the
CSS 125 and this Extremis 6s thingie.

Re: Adire Extremis 6s for discussion [message #21282 is a reply to message #21280] Tue, 06 September 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Greets!

I was told today by someone who should know that there's no such thing as an Extremis 6s, though there is a wide BW Extremis 6.8, but it's an apples n' oranges thing in that the FR125S is a huge wide BW tweeter and the latter an ultra wide BW midbass, so it will come down to which polar response/BW/distortion levels best meets your design goals.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/ExtremisMidwoofers.htm
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=EXTREMIS6

FWIW, I prefer the former combined with a suitable LF system to keep various distortions low, but many folks (you included, based on your stated preferences) seem to find audible harmonic distortion quite pleasing, so the latter no doubt will continue to be very popular as a ~ 'one size fits all' option, and you can always add a super tweeter to it to fill out the extreme topend. For a modest system though, the latter is a better choice IMO if the critical mids are clean since it will safely go a full octave lower.

GM

Re: Adire Extremis 6s for discussion [message #21283 is a reply to message #21282] Tue, 06 September 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes, I am prob'ly tone deaf.

This Extremis thing can't be vapor ware can it?

Time will tell.

Re: Adire Extremis 6s for discussion [message #21284 is a reply to message #21283] Tue, 06 September 2005 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Greets!

That's not what I was implying or referring to, though you may well be if you've spent a lot of time around high SPLs without hearing protection. It's human nature to prefer 'rich' textures, such as high fat content ice cream over a low/no fat one, or 'rich' colors over 'flat' ones, etc., and the same is somewhat true with what we hear. Live prosound engineers understand this and 'play to the masses' the same way that an electronics manufacturer will normally set the display screen too 'hot' to grab your attention, etc..

That said, folks like me that have been raised around unamplified music tend to prefer highly damped, ~transient perfect reproduction since it more closely resembles the live event, particularly WRT vocals and LF notes.

Anyway, I have it on fairly good authority that it's not in the 'pipeline'. Where/what did you read about it?

GM

Re: Adire Extremis 6s for discussion [message #21285 is a reply to message #21284] Tue, 06 September 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Audio DIY... whatevs. I'll link it:

Scuttlebutt there was that it was available as
preorder.

Re: Adire Extremis 6s for discussion [message #21286 is a reply to message #21285] Wed, 07 September 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Greets!

They were referring to the Extremis 6.8.........

GM

Re: Adire Extremis 6s for discussion [message #21313 is a reply to message #21286] Thu, 29 September 2005 23:43 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was just reviewing this thread. Not much action on the
ol' Extremis but lots of talk on some other ones right now.

Still looking for the "Jordan 92s Knockoff" prize winner.

But I'm getting the itch to try some drop ins for the
MLTLs like the FX120 you mentioned. I have been totally
distracted for months on trying to learn Linux and beyond that,
to get sound working. It has been a big job and not done
yet.

Previous Topic: Work's like the simulation I think?
Next Topic: Gumby MkI finally gets new clothes !!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 14:50:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio