Home » Audio » General » Musings on Audio and Photography - (long)
Re: Musings on Audio and Photography - (long) [message #211 is a reply to message #207] Wed, 11 February 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne,

You're right that in auto hardware, women are under-represented. But they are still represented, compared to the near non-existance in audio hardware. Believe it or not, the Subaru forums I used to participate in had their fair share of women who are into mods just as much as the guys. In fact, one of the most prominent figures in the online Subaru owners community is a gal who goes by SubieGal, a rally racer herself (women racers are so sexy!). www.subiegal.com

However, I do agree with you that men and women have different attitudes when it comes to technical hobbies. In general, women tend to be more focused on the results than the process. They will take time to understand and appreciate the technologies, hardware and methods, but only sees them as a means to achieve a particular result. Guys are more likely to get caught up on the process for its own sake.

In terms of my photos Wayne, would it surprise you that someone like myself, who listens to vinyl through a tube system on homemade speakers, don't shoot with a digital camera? I do use digital if I want to do quick web postings, but for serious shooting, I still shoot black & white with my manual focus Canon F-1n (built in the mid 80's), process my own film, and print in a darkroom. I have not seen any printers on the market that I'm satified with that does not cost more than a small car. Spec-wise the printers look good, but compared with a real print, to me, it lacks "life". Most people don't understand because they've never seen a real B/W print in their life. Their only benchmark for photographies is what they see in magazines, printed at a lousy 300 lpm. Of course computer printouts look good to them. (sounds like vinyl vs CD, doesn't it?)

But my wife recently brought home an "all-in-one" scanner, so I might looking into doing some postings.

Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Archaic Storage Media Sermon