Home » Audio » Speaker » Did Martin King do something with those?
Re: Did Martin King do something with those? [message #20942 is a reply to message #20941] Thu, 26 May 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Makes sense. It sounds like you have another plan brewing for the future, speakerwise. How did you come to decide on those amps; did you hear them or is it based on the fact that the Bryston is well known for it's ability to drive low impedance loads?

Re: Did Martin King do something with those? [message #20944 is a reply to message #20942] Thu, 26 May 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
I heard my Lowther DX3 ML TL powered by a neighbor's Bryston 3BST and it blew me away. Much faster and more dynamic then my old Adcom. So I got the idea to upgrade.

I started searching for two channel SS amps and preamps, very slim pickings since everything seems to be geared towards home theater. I looked at NAD and Rotel but felt they were not much better, maybe worse, then what I already had in the Adcom. I wanted the Bryston but the price tag is a little steep. I can afford the Bryston gear but just can not bring myself to pull the trigger. My wife does not care, she is sick of hearing about the topic.

I tried two TEAC A-L700P chip amps ($95 each) and liked the mids, highs, and total silence between tracks but the power was not there for the bass. I am using these now and have been putting off buying something else for months. I am intending to try amps these with an active crossover in yet another project I have on paper and no time to build.

I had seen the Odyssey Tempest and Stratos amps on the Internet and have received very positive feedback from a few owners, the Internet reviews are for the most part excellent. The cost is about half the Bryston units I really wanted. maybe not as good as the Bryston but probably close, the 30 day money back option makes this a very low risk approach.

So I am now in the final decision stage between these two brands. The months of May and June are really busy at home so I am not sure when I will go ahead and make a move. A good decision is a procrastinated decision!

Martin

Re: Did Martin King do something with those? [message #20945 is a reply to message #20944] Thu, 26 May 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Haste makes waste. I am truely surprised at your comment about your wifes declining to indulge this topic; I thought all women loved this stereo talk; what I hear is;
"How much did it cost?"
"You're not going to put that there; are you?"

When I talk stereo..... [message #20946 is a reply to message #20945] Thu, 26 May 2005 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
all my wife says is "LOSER.".....Colin

Re: When I talk stereo..... [message #20947 is a reply to message #20946] Fri, 27 May 2005 02:29 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
She never actually expressed it that way; but the implication hangs heavy in the air. Hell; I will say it first, all the possible things I could be doing...

Previous Topic: Speakers for Dared MP-7
Next Topic: Power Tapered to 12 drivers of 4ohms
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 15:14:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout