Home » Audio » Speaker » Audio Nirvana Speakers
Re: Audio Nirvana Speakers [message #20762 is a reply to message #20752] Mon, 28 March 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I would like to see frequency curves on these before I bought them.
If you do buy them, do let us know your objective/subjectie impressions!
-akhilesh

Audio Nirvana versus Omega Speakers [message #20763 is a reply to message #20752] Mon, 28 March 2005 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Would anyone expect the Audio Nirvana drivers in their recommended enclosures to perform differently from Omega speakers? The Omegas use Fostex drivers, but the AN's have similar TS parameters. Some of the AN enclosures are quite a bit larger.

My thoughts on new full range drivers coming out [message #20764 is a reply to message #20763] Tue, 29 March 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I laud David Dicks for starting his own brand of drivers. I hope they are a good alternative to Fostexes.
when buyiong any driver, one must look at the following:
1. How accurate are the T/S params (measured versus actual). For example, Lowther is known to have actual T/S params WAYY off from pulished ones.
2. What isthe frequency curve of the driver?
3. What is the distortion produced by the driver?
4. What is the Xmax of the driver?

All of these are important. I would stress actual values versus publsihed ones in all cases. If anyone buys Nirvana, drivers, please do publish your experiences measurements. Fostexes tend to behave as published. Lowthers do not. Lots of material on actual experiences with lowthers existis, and I am looing forward to seeing people's actual experience with the nirvana driver.

Also, I really hope Dicks can come down to GPAF, since then we can all experience & report on the nirvana drivers.
-akhilesh

Took The Plunge [message #20765 is a reply to message #20752] Tue, 29 March 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Curiosity got the best of me and I ordered a pair of the 8" Audio Nirvana drivers with plans for the 2.5MKII Twin Port enclosures. Needless to say I will not have these completed by the Great Plains Audio Fest and wouldn't have room for them in my compact pickup truck anyway. But if they sound halfway decent I'll take them to the next Lone Star Bottleheads meeting that we hold in Dallas, and anyone from Tulsa who wants to hear them can easily drive down and join us. If they suck you'll never hear another word about them from me:)

Re: Took The Plunge [message #20766 is a reply to message #20765] Tue, 29 March 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
If they suck you'll never hear another word about them from me:)
Actually we all do.Another enclosure alingment may be necessary. Really need to establish hard T/S parameters and a curve for those drivers.
ron

Re: Took The Plunge [message #20767 is a reply to message #20765] Tue, 29 March 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Fred,
Try a 1 cubic foot sealed box, tuned to 60HZ.
it works for the Fostex 206. Or
if you like, order their 1.3 cubic foot box, that one is better suited, in my opinion, to the fostex fe206E.
The 2.5 will, based on theory, give boom with a depressed upper bass.
This is assuming the T/S params are indeed similar to the fostex fe206e, which is an open question till a bunch of folk measure and report.
thanks
-akhilesh

You Are Correct [message #20768 is a reply to message #20767] Tue, 29 March 2005 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Assuming the advertised T/S parameters are correct, WinISD tells me in a 2.5 ft box tuned to about 56hz the response will dip down to about 3.7dB at 100hz. The Fostex Fe166E in that same box would be down about 4.5dB. So if my target were smooth response with no midbass dip, as you guys have pointed out, neither of these drivers is a good candidate for a 2.5 ft ported box. But I'm still curious about them, and now that I am retired and have a fully equipped workshop and nothing to do all day but build speakers, building a 2.5 ft enclosure really is is no big deal. I can try it, and if I don't like the way it sounds build a different enclosure.

gainclone [message #20769 is a reply to message #20766] Tue, 29 March 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronbrady is currently offline  ronbrady
Chancellor
Way to go Freddy!!
Some how I thought you could be talked into springing for a pair. I would be very curious to see how they measure up to their published specs and also would like to see a frequency curve for them. Are you geared up to make those measurements or should we start asking for volunteers to do it while your glue is drying.
best wishes
Ron Brady

Re: Took The Plunge [message #20770 is a reply to message #20765] Wed, 30 March 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
Great Fred

I´ve wanted a pair of the 6" since I saw them, but before hearing some more about them, I´m not putting down that kind of money to have it shipped to Denmark.

Please let us know how they turn out.

I'll volunteer to measure TS params if someone ships me a driver [message #20771 is a reply to message #20769] Wed, 30 March 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'll volunteer to do so (i'm basically going to arm twist Wayne into helping me with this equipment & knowledge). We've done it twice already, so no problem. Just let me know on email if you would like ot ship me the driver. I'll cover the cost of shipping it back to you.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Yamaha SP1 - Digital Array for HT
Next Topic: Fostex break- in proceedures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 29 03:32:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers