Home » Audio » Speaker » anyone know build this horn?
anyone know build this horn? [message #20580] Thu, 06 January 2005 09:10 Go to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=11258197&selected=

thanks

Re: anyone know build this horn? [message #20612 is a reply to message #20580] Sat, 15 January 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I would try by cutting out the two sax-looking sides in plywood.

I'd use 1X3 or similar tacked between the sides at intervals to maintain spacing: maybe make them permanent through judicious placement.

I'd then form the inside and outside curves with 3/8" bending Meranti, and then veneer over that with Band-It or similar.

I've done something like it before. The problem was that the thin edges of the sides shouldn't 90 degrees to the flat because when you tilt the sides inward the edge surfaces are not co-planer. A little creativity in sawing out the sides and beveling the edges is necessary (along with some filler

Re: anyone know build this horn? [message #20613 is a reply to message #20612] Sun, 16 January 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
thanks for the reply, good information on the construction, by the way do you know anyhone design a horn like that with good result?

One in particular... [message #20614 is a reply to message #20613] Sun, 16 January 2005 11:25 Go to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The Yamamura Dionisio.

Long gone now, but

At $25,000, Be Yamamura's full-range, single driver, multi-horn Dionisio is unlikely to show up at your local high end saloon, or in my system, for that matter. But after listening to a cone-driven Edgar mid horn for a few years, I am a champion of this concept. At a range of ten feet, metal midrange drivers can blast a hole in the wall behind your listening position. A horn loaded cone can really sing close in.

The Dionisio uses a modified Lowther PM-4 to drive this 2.3 m tall cork covered fiberglass sculpture between 27 Hz to 16kHz with better than 100dB efficiency. Said to play on two watts.

Yamamura has various smaller and larger versions of the Dionisio in the works, some priced down in the economy car range. Crazy price aside, paper cones, cork, and no crossovers sounds like a reasonable recipe to me.

US Representative:
Virtual Audio
POB 1598
Novato, CA 94948
415-898-8067

Previous Topic: Readers in the EU
Next Topic: 6.5" Woofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 09 13:02:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects